Sep 9, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
“Obviously that’s that for the championship,” said Lewis Hamilton to reporters moments after he climbed out of his car at Monza.
A frustrating weekend at Monza yielded just ninth place and two points for the Mercedes driver.
Hamilton’s troubles began on Saturday when he went off at Parabolica during qualifying, damaging his car. That gave him one chance to make it into Q3, which was ruined when he caught Adrian Sutil’s Force India at the same corner.
On race day he clearly had a quick car – the Mercedes drivers set the fastest lap times of the race. But an early puncture made for another setback. Hamilton had to pit twice, and although he made it back into the points his attempt to take eighth place off Romain Grosjean on the final lap was lost when he ran wide.
Hamilton initially described his weekend as a “disaster” and conceded that, with seven races to go and Sebastian Vettel 81 points ahead, his championship chances were over.
But later came a change of heart: “When I got out of the car I was angry, and definitely thought that would be it,” he told Reuters.
“But I’ve been back with my engineers and I’m not going to give up. I basically need to win every race, which is the tallest order ever, but I can do nothing but try.”
Even if Hamilton were to win all of the remaining races, third places for Vettel would be sufficient to keep him 11 points ahead of the Mercedes driver.
- Australian GP wide open, both from past stats and preseason tests 0
- For Josef Newgarden, year three is chance to enter IndyCar’s elite 1
- Kanaan set for more than just Indy 500 success with Ganassi switch in 2014 2
- Keselowski wins in Vegas as Dale Jr. runs dry on final lap 2
- NHRA king John Force charging as hard in boardroom for new sponsors as on the dragstrip 0
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)