Sep 9, 2013, 12:45 PM EDT
Newman has been named as Jeff Burton’s replacement at Richard Childress Racing’s No. 31 Chevrolet, multiple sources confirmed to NASCAR.com. Newman participated in a teleconference later on Monday and discussed the move.
“We talked roughly five years ago before I joined SHR and we didn’t have the moons correctly aligned,” Newman said.
He said he had talked to several teams before settling on RCR for what will be a three-year deal.
“I talked to a few, which in my world is three or more,” Newman said. “Richard came to me Daytona 500 week and I told him at that point I needed to lay some ground work with Matt Borland (at SHR), it was too early then, but I appreciated the offer. After Loudon, when I was told what I wouldn’t be doing, the conversations intensified. So it was at the top without a doubt. Richard and everyone at RCR could control their own destiny in terms of building chassis, engines and bodies at one compound. That means the world to me.”
It will mark a third change of scenery for Newman, who debuted in NASCAR with Penske Racing in 2000 and shifted to Stewart-Haas in 2009. He has 17 career wins, including a season-high eight in 2003, the last year before the Chase, and his most recent win at Indianapolis this July. He also has scored Penske’s only Daytona 500 win, ahead of then-teammate Kurt Busch in 2008.
“I’ve talked with (new teammate) Paul (Menard) a good bit, going back to Coke 600. Austin and Ty (Dillon) are there, I don’t know their capacity yet,” he said of his new team situation. “Just even racing with Austin at the Truck race, we raced clean and raced hard. Tony (Stewart) and I have raced clean and hard. I also want to make mention to that I’m extremely respectful for the way Jeff Burton’s handled himself. To make this all work out and he’s been great, I will leave it at that.”
- Preview: Detroit’s doubleheader a crucial weekend for IndyCar championship 0
- ARCA: From welder to race car driver, Sarah Cornett-Ching continues her building prowess 2
- Taylor Swift to be featured on Tony Kanaan’s IndyCar in Detroit; will she make it to track? 7
- Surprises, struggles: NHRA at one-third mark of ’15 season 5
- FIA seeking new teams for Formula 1 in 2016 and 2017 8
- Gossage to Walker: “We need a more competitive race this year than last year” 2
- Volkswagen Andretti pair of Foust, Speed seek better fortunes, consistency 0