Sep 9, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
Six drivers will test several compounds and specifications of Firestone’s IndyCar tire at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway this Tuesday and Wednesday, both days from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET. All but one of them are out of realistic contention for the 2013 IZOD IndyCar Series title.
Simon Pagenaud, Justin Wilson and Dario Franchitti will be Honda’s representatives with the three Chevrolet reps Will Power, Marco Andretti and current Indianapolis 500 champion Tony Kanaan. Pagenaud is third in points, 70 back of Helio Castroneves with three races remaining in the season.
“It’s more a sense of continuous improvement, which is something that Firestone has been based on,” Firestone Racing chief engineer Dale Harrigle told IndyCar.com. “Tire performance was good this May and we think we can make it a little better.”
From an optics standpoint, it will be nice to see IndyCars going their usual, counter-clockwise direction around the IMS 2.5-mile oval, after last week’s test at the IMS road course to evaluate the potential of a race there next year.
And here’s the best part: it’s open to the public, at the South Terrace Grandstand and Turn 2 viewer mounds. Sept. 12 is a designated rain date. Post photos on Twitter (@FirestoneRacing) using #TireTest.
- Talladega Nights-inspired restaurant sued by Sony Pictures 0
- It’s happy hour at Team Penske after Vegas sweep (VIDEO) 1
- Australian GP wide open, both from past stats and preseason tests 0
- For Josef Newgarden, year three is chance to enter IndyCar’s elite 1
- Kanaan set for more than just Indy 500 success with Ganassi switch in 2014 2
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Busch news kicks off what may be a busy Tuesday for IndyCar (5)