Vettel shrugs off Monza jeers

Sep 9, 2013, 9:59 AM EDT

Italy F1 GP Auto Racing AP

Sebastian Vettel’s sixth win of 2013 was not well received by many in the crowd at Monza who booed the world champion as he was handed the winners’ trophy for the 32nd time in his career.

It’s not uncommon for those who vanquish Ferrari to get a rough reception at Monza: Lewis Hamilton did when he won last year. But Vettel was also the target of booing at other races this year in Canada, Britain and Belgium.

“I said on the radio on the in lap that the more booing we get, the better we have done today,” Vettel said afterwards.

“It’s normal. I don’t blame the people to be honest, I think their love of Ferrari is in their genes. It’s something very special. Obviously Fernando is in a great position on the podium, whereas if you’re dressed in any other colour it’s not the same, but still, it’s a fantastic race, a fantastic podium here.”

Vettel hasn’t always been the focus of the crowd’s anger – his maiden win five years ago for Toro Rosso was more warmly received. “Fortunately I had an experience in 2008 which blew me away completely when we won here in an Italian team with a Ferrari engine,” Vettel remembered. “The atmosphere was fantastic.”

1. u2milo - Sep 9, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Vettel doesn’t get it.

When he took that GP win from Webber in Malaysia, we all saw what a nasty, self-centered little prick he can be.

GP wins are extremely hard to come by for most, and we all knew Webber wasn’t long for F1.

When asked if he regretted the pass, Vettel replied, “No, didn’t deserve it.”

THAT’S why we’re booing.

ex-Vettel Fan

• cuencanolenny - Sep 9, 2013 at 3:56 PM

You are one pathetic loser fella. He stepped on my toe, I hate him, he is a bum. Geez. The fellow is the best driver in the game driving the best car. He wins because he has an excellent team. No different than when Schumie was winning all the time. Some people are just so immature they just have to find something to attack someone over.

• rolandlickert - Sep 10, 2013 at 1:18 AM

I don’t think vettel cares about that when I look back of passed champion they all had a kind of ruthlessness otherwise you will not win races ! To be kind and soft will not do the trick thats the way it is in racing .

2. pwbeninate - Sep 9, 2013 at 1:30 PM

I don’t think anyone denies that Vettel good. Three reasons for booing him:

1. Malaysia
    2. We don’t like seeing the same person win all the time
    3. We don’t like watching a race where you know who’s going to win from Lap 2…

3. seabassfan - Sep 9, 2013 at 2:49 PM

I very much enjoyed the race.

• cuencanolenny - Sep 9, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Thanks Seabassfan. It was an excellent race, the best driver won.

4. hughmaniv - Sep 9, 2013 at 4:55 PM

The best car won! Put any other top driver in that car and you would get the same results. No doubt he’s a great driver but also that he is a self centered prick and he still doesn’t get the booing. I was surprised to hear it at spa and then again at Monza but I think it will be a regular thing now.
    He’s following in his hero’s footsteps,Schumacher, same bad behavior and a bad sport.

• rolandlickert - Sep 10, 2013 at 1:35 AM

IT NEEDS A BIT MORE THEN A TOP DRIVER , VETTEL IS MORE CONSISTENT AND MAKES LESS MISTAKE THAN THE REST OF THE BUNCH BESIDE THAT HE IS FOCUSED AND WORKS CLOSELY WITH THE TECHNICIAN AND GIVES THEM VITAL INFORMATION HOW THE CAR BEHAVES ! HE IS GOOD AT THAT& IT’S THE WHOLE PACKAGE DEAL NOT ONLY DRIVING ! BOOING ? I DON’T THINK VETTEL WILL BE AFFECTED BY IT ,ONLY RESULT COUNT IN THAT SPORT THATS THE WAY IT IS .THE ENDLESS QUESTION WHO OR WAS THE BEST DRIVER IS A PERSONAL CHOICE NO ONE CAN ANSWER THAT FOR SURE .

Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches