Sep 11, 2013, 11:05 AM EDT
Kimi Raikkonen is hoping to recapture the career high he achieved by winning the world championship in his first season with Ferrari when he returns to the Italian team next year.
“I am really happy to be returning to Maranello where I previously spent three fantastic and very successful years,” said Raikkonen after his long-rumored return to the Italian team was confirmed on Wednesday.
“I have so many memories of my time at Ferrari, memories which have stayed with me these past years, first and foremost, winning the world championship title in 2007, which was really unforgettable.”
Raikkonen will partner Fernando Alonso, who he pipped to the title by a single point that year. The pair also fought for the championship in 2005 when Alonso was at Renault and Raikkonen was at McLaren. On that occasion Alonso came out on top.
Raikkonen paid tribute to his rival who he will partner at the team for at least the next two years. “I can’t wait to be driving a Prancing Horse car again and to reacquaint myself with so many people with whom I had such close links, as well as working with Fernando, whom I consider a great driver, in order to bring the team the success it deserves,” he said.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR schedule reveals some potential 2015 IndyCar schedule hints; Texas IndyCar returns 2
- Kevin Harvick riled at Tony Stewart portrayal in Kevin Ward Jr. tragedy 87
- Like a good stew, 2015 Sprint Cup schedule and new Chase format need time to simmer for best taste 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: How did the 2015 schedule come together? (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR announces 2015 Sprint Cup, Nationwide, and Truck Series schedules (VIDEO) 4
- FIA won’t punish Nico Rosberg after Belgian GP incident with Lewis Hamilton 14
- Will Power once again in position for IndyCar title – but this time feels different 1