Sep 11, 2013, 10:23 AM EDT
Meet the new Ferrari driver, same as the old Ferrari driver.
Indeed Kimi Raikkonen will be back at the Scuderia for 2 years beginning in 2014, confirming the newest worst-kept rumor in the Formula One paddock. It follows a day after Felipe Massa confirmed he’d leave the team after an eight-year run featuring more than 100 starts, as the second longest tenured Ferrari driver only trailing Michael Schumacher.
Meanwhile, it’s Raikkonen’s second stint at the team after his three-year run from 2007 to 2009, and gives Ferrari two World Champions in its driver lineup for the first time since 1953 as he partners Fernando Alonso.
Raikkonen’s official take, to the Ferrari website: “I can’t wait to be driving a Prancing Horse car again and to reacquaint myself with so many people with whom I had such close links, as well as working with Fernando, whom I consider a great driver, in order to bring the team the success it deserves.”
From Ferrari team principal, Stefano Domenicali: “I am pleased to welcome Kimi back to the Scuderia, the team with which he won his world championship title. I sense he is very happy to be returning to Maranello and very determined to tackle the work that awaits him in the best way possible.”
And, the diplomatic, PR-speak quote from Alonso: “I’d like to welcome my new travelling companion: together, starting next year, we will have to tackle a very demanding technical and racing challenge.”
Note the words “travelling companion” there instead of “teammate” from Alonso; he’s undoubtedly game to the challenge of having a front-line teammate who will push him at every opportunity.
How the two get on as teammates, and how Raikkonen’s laid-back, barely caring attitude fits will be fascinating to watch evolve.
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)