Sep 12, 2013, 11:00 AM EST
Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali has laughed off suggestions that the signing of Kimi Raikkonen is a public snub to current star driver Fernando Alonso, insisting that the Spaniard has a long future with the team.
Speculation surrounding Alonso’s future emerged at the Hungarian Grand Prix after he publicly criticized the design team of the F138 car following a difficult weekend. His manager was also pictured speaking with Red Bull team principal Christian Horner, sparking rumors that he could be angling a move to the defending world champions. Further to that, Alonso has history of preferring a subservient teammate, leaving McLaren after just one year in 2007 due to then-rookie Lewis Hamilton’s pace. However, Domenicali does not envisage such problems.
“For anyone thinking that the choice of Kimi is somehow an anti-Alonso choice, I can put their minds at rest: at Ferrari, everyone knows the interests of the team come first and only then those of the individual,” he said on the team website. “Fernando is a key asset for this team and he will be for a long time.”
Domenicali is also sure that Alonso will welcome a teammate who is stronger than Felipe Massa, with Ferrari failing to seriously challenge for the constructors’ championship since 2008.
“I’m sure he [Alonso] is the first to be happy with a choice made to strengthen the group, because he is too intelligent not to realise that a stronger team can only be an advantage,” Domenicali explained.
Raikkonen’s move appears to give Ferrari the strongest driver pairing for 2014, with the team’s line-up boasting three world championships and fifty-two wins.
Video from NASCAR America
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. ponders a 24-hour NASCAR race 0
- ‘Do you get mad when your boyfriend wrecks you?’ Danica Patrick faces kids’ pressing questions 3
- Jeff Gordon to serve as NASCAR TV analyst this season 12
- Ganassi’s No. 02 Riley-Ford Scores Rolex 24 Victory 3
- Rex White, NASCAR Hall of Fame driver — and storyteller 1
- Is a NASCAR TV analyst career in Jeff Gordon’s future? ‘I’d entertain it’ 2
- After wedding and winter to reflect, Joey Logano looks for more in 2015 2