Sep 12, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
The FIA has inspected the proposed circuit for the Mexican Grand Prix that is scheduled to be held next November, going back-to-back with the United States Grand Prix at the Circuit of the Americas.
A draft 2014 schedule was released earlier this month featuring twenty-one races, with Mexico returning to the fray having last hosted a grand prix in 1992. The Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez circuit is thought to require major upgrades if it is to be fit to host the race next year, with leading track designer Hermann Tilke set to take on the task.
A representative from Tilke’s design company was present at the track inspection, alongside race director Charlie Whiting, FIA vice president Jose Abed and former organizer of the US GP in Austin Tavo Hellmund, whose attention has now switched to the race in Mexico.
The finalized calendar is yet to be released with the ‘draft’ schedule being considered by the World Motor Sport Council at the end of the month when it convenes in Croatia.
Having inspected the circuit, the delegates from the FIA will now be able to make a final decision on whether the return of the Mexican Grand Prix is truly viable. Although the proposed grand prix at New Jersey did not feature on the draft calendar, the officials at Port Imperial are confident that the race will go ahead.
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 0
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
- Ricciardo Australian GP disqualification upheld by FIA 3
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- Clint Bowyer hits ‘white-of-your-eyes-fast’ speed of 217 mph in tire test at Michigan (13)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)