Sep 13, 2013, 11:32 PM EST
It’s been quite the bizarre week in NASCAR: Race manipulation tactics, massive penalties, and as of Friday afternoon, the inclusion of Jeff Gordon as a 13th driver to the Chase – a decision that has been met with either delight or disdain depending on your point of view.
So of course, it was only fitting that Abraham Lincoln dropped in to add even more surrealism to the proceedings at Chicagoland Speedway. Tonight’s EnjoyIllinois.com 225 for the Camping World Truck Series got underway after the command to start engines was given by Honest Abe himself.
Okay, okay, it wasn’t the real Lincoln. NASCAR CEO Brian France may have the authority to put Gordon in the Chase, but even he can’t bring America’s 16th President back from the Great Beyond.
But considering all of the madness that has ensued since last Saturday, having “Lincoln” telling the NASCAR Truck corps to start their engines seemed to put a proper period on it all. At least until the next controversy breaks.
As for the race itself, Kyle Busch and Brad Keselowski – both stepping away momentarily from their Sprint Cup duties – had a terrific late-race duel in the closing laps before Busch was able to score the win. Ryan Blaney was third, followed by points leader Matt Crafton in fourth, and Ty Dillon in fifth.
Video credit goes to “tireballmedia” on YouTube.
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Rosberg quickest as Mercedes shows its hand on day two 0
- Alexander Rossi confirms return to GP2 in 2015 with Racing Engineering 2
- FIA issues updated F1 entry list including “Manor Marussia” 3
- Fernando Alonso thanks fans for support following crash 0
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Thursday 0
- Massa fastest for Williams as final F1 pre-season test begins 5