Sep 13, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
Jenson Button has expressed his excitement for next weekend’s Singapore Grand Prix, praising the event for being unique and a “wonder” in Formula One.
The race is the only event on the calendar to start and finish at night, making it a spectacle for the fans and a challenge for drivers, teams and all personnel involved with the sport. Although the novelty of racing under the lights may have worn off for some, Button is still as excited as ever to be taking on the Marina Bay street circuit once again.
“I remember the first time we raced at Singapore, it seemed incredible to think that we could hold a Formula One race at night,” Button said in McLaren’s race preview. “I must say, the thrill and novelty of racing through spotlit streets is just as intense for me today as it was when we first raced there – it’s a unique spectacle, and one that I think is brilliant for F1.
“In fact, the Singapore Grand Prix is one of the wonders of modern sport.”
The race has proven to be a success, now entering its sixth year, and the likes of Abu Dhabi and Bahrain have followed in its footsteps with the latter rumored to be planning a night race for 2014. However, the long lap and extreme heat does mean that the drivers are tested physically, with Button acknowledging the circuit’s challenge.
“This is also a race where good fitness preparation really pays off: the race is usually close to the two-hour limit, so it’s the longest physical challenge on the calendar.”
Having finished second in the past two runnings of the race, Button will be keen on continuing this run of form but the lacklustre pace of the McLaren MP4-28 could cost him a shot at the podium.
- F1 2015’s silly season is proving to be a let down, but who could yet spice it up? 2
- 2015 Italian Grand Prix Preview 0
- James Hinchcliffe on the comeback trail for IndyCar driving return 0
- Bottas and Massa to remain with Williams for 2016 1
- Here are your TV times for this weekend’s Italian Grand Prix on NBCSN, Live Extra 0
- James Hinchcliffe describes how inspired he was by Justin Wilson 1
- Dixon: “I don’t think anybody had a stellar season” 13