Sep 13, 2013, 10:08 PM EST
A pair of penalties have changed the official results of last weekend’s GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series race at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in California.
Title contender Alessandro Balzan and co-driver Leh Keen, both of whom wheeled the No. 63 Scuderia Corsa Ferrari 458 Italia (pictured, from March) last Sunday, have been elevated to a third-place finish after originally being scored fifth.
That’s because the original third-place car, the No. 31 Marsh Racing Corvette of Eric Curran and Boris Said, has been demoted to eighth in class. Additionally, the No. 73 Park Place Motorsports Porsche of Patrick Long and Patrick Lindsey has been demoted from fourth to ninth in class.
“Every team deserves a fair chance to compete and the process that maintains this was appropriately implemented by officials,” said Scuderia Corsa principal Giacomo Mattioli in a team release.
“We ran a fantastic race on Sunday and are now focused on getting ready to go for the championship at our last race of the season at Lime Rock.”
Balzan sustained damage to his car’s rear diffuser and exhaust system in separate incidents during the closing moments of the Continental Tire Sports Car Festival.
The revised results also have an impact on the hotly-contested GT championship race. With the podium finish, Balzan has now moved within four points, 313-309, of the class-leading No. 44 Magnus Racing Porsche of John Potter and Andy Lally, who won their first race of 2013 at Laguna Seca.
Lally touched on the subject, as well as Jeff Gordon’s inclusion in the Chase for the Sprint Cup, on Twitter. One could argue he was a bit surprised at both:
- Agag: Formula E off to “incredible start” heading into U.S. swing 0
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 2
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 1
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Sunday 1