Sep 13, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
However, IndyCar registered highly on the “Awwwwww!!!” meter yesterday with a tweet showing a finalized ad of Josef Newgarden’s photo shoot with “Marc Jacobs the Cat.” Newgarden’s shoot was done for Show Your Soft Side, a Baltimore-area public service campaign designed to combat the alarming incidence of animal abuse in the city.
Newgarden had some fun with the shoot on site and exchanged a couple tweets with fans yesterday after IndyCar put out the tweet showing the finalized picture:
— IZOD IndyCar Series (@IndyCar) September 12, 2013
Interestingly, perhaps, Newgarden emerged after the shoot with his strongest, most complete weekend yet in nearly two full seasons in IndyCar at Baltimore. He made the Firestone Fast Six for the first time in his career (although his best start is still second at Long Beach in 2012, thanks to engine penalties to Chevrolet drivers) and had a yo-yo race day where he ran in the top five early, fell outside the top 15, then rebounded to finish a career-best second for his first IndyCar podium with Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing.
Is it a coincidence the result came after the photo shoot? I’m inclined to think not. Whether Newgarden is able to match his Baltimore weekend at Houston will determine whether “kitten power” was merely a one-off or the good luck charm that changed his season for the better.
Video from NASCAR America
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 2
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 1
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 3
- Talladega mystery: Did missing woman even make it to NASCAR race? Second fan to disappear in 18 months 14