Sep 14, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
Former Formula One driver Rubens Barrichello has comforted Felipe Massa following the Brazilian’s exit from Ferrari, confirming that there is a future beyond the Italian team.
Massa confirmed on Monday that he will be leaving the team at the end of the season, set to be replaced by Lotus’ Kimi Raikkonen. Having also left the team at the end of 2005, Barrichello is well-positioned to advise his compatriot and friend regarding his next move, and he has assured Massa that there is life after Ferrari.
“I feel sorry for Felipe, but I know there is life after Ferrari,” Barrichello said in an interview with TotalRace. “I am a proof of that because of Brawn and everything that happened. Everything was really good, and there are some things that are even better after Ferrari.”
After leaving Ferrari in 2005, Barrichello moved to Honda which became Brawn in 2009. That year, the Brazilian driver won two races and finished an incredible third in the drivers’ championship in one of the greatest fairytales the sport has known as Brawn romped to both titles. Although Barrichello did acknowledge that Ferrari is the ultimate drive in F1, he also spoke about the benefits of leaving Maranello.
“Driving for Ferrari is the most sensational thing ever, but after Ferrari there is a release, with a little less pressure and careful interviews,” he said. There is a moment of pain, but there is life after it.”
Massa is thought to be in the running for Raikkonen’s seat at Lotus, but he faces stiff opposition in the form of Sauber’s Nico Hulkenberg who it transpires was close to being the Brazilian’s replacement.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 15
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 6
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 52