Gordon: Chase addition has “lit a fire under us”

Sep 14, 2013, 8:15 PM EDT

Geico 400 - Practice Getty Images

Like it or not, Jeff Gordon is in the Chase for the Sprint Cup – and while he and his team had been inconsistent through the regular season, he believes that everyone’s ready to show that they truly deserved their post-season berth.

“I always like to say that you’ve got to walk before you can run, but I will say this has lit a fire under us,” Gordon said Friday about his chances of claiming a fifth Sprint Cup title.

“…I know we haven’t shown it yet this year, but this team is ready to show it now. So, I think that’s the one thing is when you get yourself in this position, you want to show the world and our racing community, the ones that support us and the ones that didn’t, that we belong here and there is a reason why we’re in this thing.”

NASCAR added Gordon to the Chase as a 13th driver following the events of last Saturday night at Richmond International Raceway. He was one of the competitors most impacted by a spin from Clint Bowyer with seven laps to go in that event, and when the checkered flag flew following a restart with three laps left, he found himself out of the Chase by a single point.

But that was then. Now, Gordon is looking forward to the post-season stretch on a set of tracks that have treated him and the No. 24 Hendrick Motorsports team well in the past.

“We have ten, or at least eight, I’d say, good racetracks that are in the Chase that I really like, that we run well at, and it starts right here in Chicago,” he said. “This is a good track for us. We qualified well. New Hampshire is a great track for us. Martinsville is a great track for us. Obviously, Homestead is a great track. We ran great in Charlotte.

“I mean, I would say Kansas and Phoenix are the two that are probably on our radar that we need to do better at. Texas is another good track for us. So, I’m excited.”

Gordon won at Chicagoland back in 2006 and has collected seven Top-10 finishes in 12 career Cup starts there. He’ll start sixth in tomorrow’s Chase opener, the GEICO 400.

1. janinwashingtonstate - Sep 14, 2013 at 9:29 PM

This is SO WRONG, in so many ways. Jeffypoop did not qualify for the Chase, the correct qualifier-Truex-gets the boot, and the whole MWR team has been royally screwed.

Mike Helton and Ryan Pemberton should be VERY ashamed of themselves, and Brian France, besides needing to grow a spine (and a few other attachments), has his head so far up and locked that he will never see daylight again!

Is there ANY member of the France family with some guts? I’m sure that both Bills are spinning in their graves–and dear Lord, we need them back.

I am sorry for the rant–but someone needs to tell the truth here. I am a 64 year old grandmother, and even the kids were glad I was out of town this week.

• rodneyjewell18 - Sep 14, 2013 at 11:26 PM

janin you are so wrong in so many ways. The only reason Truex qualified for the Chase is because his teammates and the entire MWR organization cheated for him. If you freeze the field prior to Bowyers cheating spin out then at that point Newman & Gordon were in the Chase and Truex & Logano were not. NASCAR did the right think by including Gordon in the Chase.Gordon had earned it on the track and had it stolen away by the antics of 3 organizations (MWR, Penske, Front Row) and at least 4 drivers (Bowyer, Vickers, Logano, Gilliland). If everyone had been racing fair and square then Gordon would have qualified and Truex would not have.

There now. Someone just told the truth here.

• queenofsummit - Sep 15, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Why don’t we go back and freeze it when Jeffys teammate took his little swan dive to get Jeff back on the lead lap. Nobody seems to want to talk about HMS shenanigans and if one more person says he blew a tire my computer is going to start gagging. I am sincerely sorry that Jeff and his fans can’t take his NOT making it like adults . Move on they gave princess special status. But message to NASCAR from here on out special status has to be given to any driver who misses the chase by less than 5 points. If not this little bump will seem like nothing and this is a fan run sport so we can and will shut you down if the BS continues.

• queenofsummit - Sep 15, 2013 at 12:56 AM

AMEN!!!!!! THANK YOU!

• queenofsummit - Sep 15, 2013 at 1:12 AM

That was for you Janin.I think you covered it.

2. meyeshua - Sep 15, 2013 at 2:18 AM

I think this whole thing is so hilarious and I am also thankful I don’t live and die NASCAR like so many. I am hoping Gordo will take advantage of this and run the string. Number 5 would be so cool at this juncture for number 24.

3. Anoesis - Sep 15, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Too bad you couldn’t have found a way to light that fire earlier and got into the chase legitimately. Looking forward to you finishing 13th out of 13.

4. worknman24hours - Sep 15, 2013 at 11:58 PM

BLAH-BLAH-BLAH.

Get over it Jeff.

Your car is a pig and no matter what Nascar does they can’t change that.

I like you Jeff but that won’t win you any races either.

Good luck liking ninth place in the Chase when the smoke clears.

Today on NASCAR AMERICA