Sep 14, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Romain Grosjean is confident that the Marina Bay Street Circuit will suit Lotus at next weekend’s Singapore Grand Prix as the French driver looks to secure his future with the team for next season.
The F1 circus arrives in Singapore for the first of seven flyaway races that will close out the 2013 Formula One season. The grand prix is the only night race on the calendar, making it a spectacle for the fans and a challenge for the drivers under the lights. Grosjean does believe that the tight and twisty nature of the track will suit Lotus, though.
“It is a very high downforce track and that seems to suit us best as we saw in Budapest,” Grosjean said. At the race in Hungary, he ran well to finish sixth despite being slapped with two penalties from the stewards.
Lotus appear to have excelled at the high downforce circuits such as Australia and Hungary, with the team struggling at the last two grands prix – Spa and Monza – that require optimum straight-line speed.
“Certainly we should be able to perform stronger than at the last two races which haven’t always suited our car,” Grosjean said.
Following Kimi Raikkonen’s decision to leave Lotus at the end of the season, Grosjean has been tipped to lead the team in 2014. However, given that he is on a three-race rolling contract, he will need to put in some strong performances at the back-end of 2013 to secure his place at the team next season.
Video from NASCAR America
- Still searching: Castroneves finishes 14th, falls short of IndyCar title (VIDEO) 0
- Will Power claims 2014 IndyCar title as Tony Kanaan ties season win record in Fontana 0
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. on Tony Stewart’s return to racing: ‘I’m sure that’s where he wants to be’ 0
- Kevin Harvick in a class of his own, dominates Atlanta NNS race 0
- WATCH LIVE: IndyCar crowns its champion tonight at Fontana 1
- Lessons learned from Dale Earnhardt death readily seen in way NASCAR has dealt with Tony Stewart tragedy 2
- Aleshin conscious following heavy accident in MAVTV 500 final practice (UPDATED, VIDEO) 4