Sep 14, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Romain Grosjean is confident that the Marina Bay Street Circuit will suit Lotus at next weekend’s Singapore Grand Prix as the French driver looks to secure his future with the team for next season.
The F1 circus arrives in Singapore for the first of seven flyaway races that will close out the 2013 Formula One season. The grand prix is the only night race on the calendar, making it a spectacle for the fans and a challenge for the drivers under the lights. Grosjean does believe that the tight and twisty nature of the track will suit Lotus, though.
“It is a very high downforce track and that seems to suit us best as we saw in Budapest,” Grosjean said. At the race in Hungary, he ran well to finish sixth despite being slapped with two penalties from the stewards.
Lotus appear to have excelled at the high downforce circuits such as Australia and Hungary, with the team struggling at the last two grands prix – Spa and Monza – that require optimum straight-line speed.
“Certainly we should be able to perform stronger than at the last two races which haven’t always suited our car,” Grosjean said.
Following Kimi Raikkonen’s decision to leave Lotus at the end of the season, Grosjean has been tipped to lead the team in 2014. However, given that he is on a three-race rolling contract, he will need to put in some strong performances at the back-end of 2013 to secure his place at the team next season.
- Australian GP wide open, both from past stats and preseason tests 0
- For Josef Newgarden, year three is chance to enter IndyCar’s elite 1
- Kanaan set for more than just Indy 500 success with Ganassi switch in 2014 2
- Keselowski wins in Vegas as Dale Jr. runs dry on final lap 2
- NHRA king John Force charging as hard in boardroom for new sponsors as on the dragstrip 0
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)