Sep 14, 2013, 4:04 PM EDT
While Brian France, Mike Helton and Robin Pemberton talked about the closed-door meeting that took place this afternoon at Chicagoland Speedway, the Sprint Cup contingent was getting in final practice for tomorrow’s GEICO 400 on the 1.5-mile oval in Joliet, Illinois.
Chase contender Kasey Kahne was fastest in the session, turning in a lap at 181.068 miles per hour in the No. 5 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet.
Kahne also had the fastest 10-lap average in “Happy Hour,” with a speed of 178.5 mph across his first 10 circuits.
Juan Pablo Montoya, who will start Sunday’s race in the second row alongside Kahne, was second-fastest in his No. 42 Earnhardt Ganassi Racing Chevrolet with a lap at 181.056 mph.
In terms of 10-lap average, Clint Bowyer was second-quickest behind Kahne, followed by Brian Vickers in third, Johnson in fourth, and Brad Keselowski. All five had their best averages in their first 10 laps.
- Ten with Townsend: Red Bull GRC 4 races in, post-MCAS New River 0
- Smiling Through the Rain: Silverstone proved that it isn’t all doom and gloom in F1 0
- NHRA: Anderson wins 4th of ’15, Stoffer over Sampey in 3rd all-female final in NHRA history; Kalitta, Beckman also win 1
- Ken Block seizes opportunity, wins Red Bull GRC at MCAS New River 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: British Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 0
- Emotional Hamilton tears up on last lap of British GP, thanks fans for support en route to win 1
- Hamilton weathers the storm to claim third British GP victory at Silverstone 2