Sep 14, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
For 2013, each lap of the 2013 Singapore Grand Prix will be around one second quicker thanks to the removal of the ‘Singapore Sling’ three-way chicane.
As reported last month, the chicane has been replaced by a fast, sweeping left hander that takes drivers onto the complex before the Anderson Bridge following years of criticism. Nicknamed the ‘Singapore Sling’, the chicane was called the “worst corner in Formula One” by Lewis Hamilton, and has been reprofiled many times in the past due to the severity of the kerbs. Therefore, for 2013, the decision has been taken to remove the corner completely.
According to Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso, this change has made the lap one second per lap quicker following work in the simulator.
These days working in the simulator. New turn 10 in Singapore this year, without the chicane of before.The lap is around 1sec faster..
— Fernando Alonso (@alo_oficial) September 12, 2013
However, Sauber’s Esteban Gutierrez is less enthusiastic about the decision, with the complex being his favorite part of the track.
“My favorite part used to be the SIngapore Sling, a left-right-left combination, but that has been changed to a long medium speed corner for this year,” the Mexican driver said.
- As NHRA closes in on 100 wins by female racers, it all started with one of the greatest, Shirley Muldowney 0
- Brad Keselowski: Changes overdue to Sprint Cup schedule; offers his ideas 4
- Richard Petty to return at Richmond, first race since wife Lynda’s death 1
- NASCAR VP: 2015 Sprint Cup engine package to be revealed before All-Star Race 0
- Too much, too fast, too soon: The sad saga of Swan Racing 0
More from NASCAR America
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (13)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)