Sep 14, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Sebastian Vettel is keen on clinching a third consecutive win at the Singapore Grand Prix next weekend, aiding him en route to his fourth world championship that is looking all-the-more likely.
The German driver currently leads Fernando Alonso by fifty-three points in the drivers’ standings heading into the final seven races of the season, having only hit his top form at this point last year. If Vettel could take a third straight win in Singapore this weekend (winning the race in 2011 and 2012), it would crush any hopes the chasing pack had of stopping him from taking a fourth title in a row this season.
“My wins in 2011 and 2012 were the best [memories of the race] because I think it’s one of the toughest races of the year to be honest, so to win is an amazing moment and you feel you deserve the champagne!” Vettel said in Red Bull’s race preview.
Like many drivers, Vettel has spoken about the physical challenge of the race, making it one of the toughest on the calendar.
“It’s a very long race; the full two hours so the race just seems to go on forever. The circuit itself is a killer because there are so many bumps, there’s no room for mistakes.”
With a fifty-three point lead, it would take a remarkable turnaround for Vettel to lose the championship from this position. However, Red Bull are refusing to become complacent, insisting that so long as their rivals stand a mathematical chance they will continue to push and develop the RB9.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 15
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 6
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 52