Sep 15, 2013, 8:25 PM EDT
UPDATE (9:55 p.m. ET) — The drivers have been given the command to restart their engines. Hope you all have put some coffee on for the night-time conclusion of Race 1 of the 2013 Chase.
UPDATE (9:40 p.m. ET) — More good news: Drivers are now being called to their cars and the crews have now returned to the pits.
UPDATE (9:25 p.m. ET) — NASCAR has called its inspectors to the cars on pit road. Teams are now being allowed to hook up generators to their respective cars, which are losing their covers as well.
UPDATE (8:23 p.m. ET) — NASCAR senior vice president Steve O’Donnell has Tweeted the following: “Dry strip coming in on track. Looking like 9 central at this point.” Let’s hope his prediction comes true and we can get back to business tonight.
UPDATE (8:10 p.m. ET) — Track drying continues at the Chicagoland Speedway, where the GEICO 400 – the opening race in the 2013 Chase for the Sprint Cup – remains under a red flag after 110 of 267 laps run.
According to a report from the Motor Racing Network, the rain has eased up at the 1.5-mile oval in Joliet, Illinois but a light mist still remains. However, that has not managed to stop the jet dryers from making their rounds in a bid to get the track back.
At Lap 107, the yellow flag came out when rain returned to the track after the start of the race had been delayed for more than an hour. When the red flag came out at Lap 110, Matt Kenseth, the Chase’s top seed, was leading, with Brad Keselowski in second, pole sitter Joey Logano in third, Jimmie Johnson in fourth, and Kyle Busch in fifth.
In case you need a catch-up on the race so far, here’s a recap up to the red flag. I’ll pass along any updates on the track conditions as soon as I get them.
- Practice setbacks leave Hamilton “quite a bit off” in Malaysia (VIDEO) 1
- Verizon IndyCar Series 2015 preseason content roundup 0
- Hamilton hits back by topping second practice in Malaysia 0
- Rosberg quickest in Malaysia FP1 as Hamilton hits trouble 2
- Now IndyCar’s champion, Will Power’s mindset hasn’t changed heading into 2015 0
- Alonso moves to clear up testing crash conspiracy theories 2
- NHRA Funny Car driver Cruz Pedregon trades seats for a day with NASCAR counterpart Joey Logano 2