Sep 15, 2013, 11:16 PM EST
After leading early on in today’s GEICO 400 at Chicagoland Speedway, Joey Logano has seen his first-ever Chase race end via an apparent engine failure with 91 laps to go.
Logano, the youngest of the 13 Chasers this year and the pole sitter for today’s race, fell back dramatically around the same time the caution came out at Lap 148 for a spin involving Justin Allgaier. He communicated to his team that he felt he had lost a cylinder, but was ultimately able to keep going until his No. 22 Penske Racing Ford finally gave up the ghost with a cloud of smoke.
“It’s just somewhere in the valve train, it let go,” Logano told ESPN upon his return to the garages. “It’s a bummer for this team. They did everything we needed to do this weekend to give us a shot at this championship right off the bat – sitting on the pole, leading laps.
“We took four tires after the rain delay to hopefully cycle us up to the front and then we could take two the next caution like the 24 [Jeff Gordon] did. It would’ve worked out perfect, but something just let go on it. Nothing we could’ve done different.”
And with that, Logano’s margin of error in contending for a Sprint Cup title has effectively gone to zero. One mulligan isn’t completely lethal to a Chaser’s hopes, but a second one definitely can be.
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed 5
- Williams launches new livery, confirms Martini partnership 3
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix 4
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 5
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- UPDATED: FIA decision on Haas, new F1 teams delayed (5)
- BHA announces The Collection Auto Group and Castrol as sponsors; driver TBD (5)