Sep 15, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Outgoing Ferrari driver Felipe Massa believes that Fernando Alonso has been the best of all his teammates at the team, claiming that the Spanish driver is “more perfect” than seven-times world champion Michael Schumacher.
Massa joined Ferrari in 2006, partnering Schumacher for one season until the German driver’s first retirement at the end of that season. His replacement, Kimi Raikkonen, led the team to a drivers’ and constructors’ championship double in 2007, with Massa then taking the mantle for 2008, missing out on the championship by a single point. He was then joined at the team by Alonso in 2010, and Massa had nothing but good to say about the Spaniard in an interview with Sky Sports.
“I’ve always had very strong teammates. I always learnt that you need to be perfect because if you’re not perfect they will be in front of you,” he explained.
“For sure I’ve had some tough times as well with strong teammates. The one [I] was suffering more [against] was Alonso. I think maybe he’s more complete. Schumacher was very, very good. He was amazing and a very complete driver as well.
“But I think maybe Alonso is even more perfect.”
Massa also underlined his desire to stay in Formula One and add to his tally of eleven grand prix victories, with Lotus confirming earlier this week that they had spoken to the Brazilian driver’s management.
“I want more,” Massa said. “I want to win more races; I want to make more pole positions. So when you’re not happy you need to try and carry on and try to do more.”
Rubens Barrichello has offered Massa sympathy following his split from Ferrari, assuring his compatriot and friend that there is life outside of the Italian team.
- Alonso fastest in first practice for Chinese GP 0
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 1
- VIDEO: Chinese GP Paddock Pass 0
- BREAKING NEWS: Swan Racing’s future in NASCAR in question 2
- Long Beach weekend atmosphere thrills Roger Daltrey, as he promotes Teen Cancer America 0
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)