Sep 15, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
Outgoing Ferrari driver Felipe Massa believes that Fernando Alonso has been the best of all his teammates at the team, claiming that the Spanish driver is “more perfect” than seven-times world champion Michael Schumacher.
Massa joined Ferrari in 2006, partnering Schumacher for one season until the German driver’s first retirement at the end of that season. His replacement, Kimi Raikkonen, led the team to a drivers’ and constructors’ championship double in 2007, with Massa then taking the mantle for 2008, missing out on the championship by a single point. He was then joined at the team by Alonso in 2010, and Massa had nothing but good to say about the Spaniard in an interview with Sky Sports.
“I’ve always had very strong teammates. I always learnt that you need to be perfect because if you’re not perfect they will be in front of you,” he explained.
“For sure I’ve had some tough times as well with strong teammates. The one [I] was suffering more [against] was Alonso. I think maybe he’s more complete. Schumacher was very, very good. He was amazing and a very complete driver as well.
“But I think maybe Alonso is even more perfect.”
Massa also underlined his desire to stay in Formula One and add to his tally of eleven grand prix victories, with Lotus confirming earlier this week that they had spoken to the Brazilian driver’s management.
“I want more,” Massa said. “I want to win more races; I want to make more pole positions. So when you’re not happy you need to try and carry on and try to do more.”
Rubens Barrichello has offered Massa sympathy following his split from Ferrari, assuring his compatriot and friend that there is life outside of the Italian team.
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed 5
- Williams launches new livery, confirms Martini partnership 3
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix 4
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 5
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- UPDATED: FIA decision on Haas, new F1 teams delayed (5)
- BHA announces The Collection Auto Group and Castrol as sponsors; driver TBD (5)