Sep 15, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Sauber are set to bring further updates for the C32 car to the Singapore Grand Prix as the team looks to salvage something from the 2013 season.
The Swiss outfit has failed to impress so far this season, scoring just seventeen points and currently lying eighth in the constructors’ championship. Nico Hulkenberg has led the team’s charge, scoring all of the points so far and recording a best finish of fifth at last weekend’s Italian Grand Prix. However, as Sauber look to catch Toro Rosso in the standings, further updates are being brought to Singapore.
“We will bring a further update package to Singapore that should help us to continue fighting for championship points,” Sauber’s head of track engineering Tom McCullough explained in the team’s grand prix preview.
The high-speed nature of Monza seemed to suit Sauber, but with the Marina Bay Street Circuit being a maximum downforce track, the team could struggle.
“Singapore requires a totally different setup philosophy compared to Monza,” McCullough continued. “The circuit efficiency sees a return to our maximum downforce level similar to Monaco. The track is dominated by tight, low-speed corners and this is the area that the mechanical and aero set-up is optimised around.”
Also hoping to impress in Singapore is Esteban Gutierrez, having failed to score his first points in Formula One since debuting at the beginning of the season. The race is renowned for having a high rate of attrition, meaning that drivers who may usually finish outside of the points could take advantage of any retirements and work their way into the top ten.
- Power steals final pole of IndyCar’s 2015 season with new track record at Sonoma 2
- Oriol Servia reflects on his friend Justin Wilson, as he races No. 25 car at Sonoma (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar’s championship contenders ready their thoughts, minds for Sonoma finale 1
- Here are your NBCSN TV times, weekend coverage plan for IndyCar’s Sonoma season finale 0
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 4
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 5