Sep 16, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Williams rookie Valtteri Bottas had the chance to drive on most F1 circuits before racing on them this year. But this weekend’s race in Singapore will be one of few exceptions.
“I’ve never driven at Singapore in a lower category and it was one of the tracks that I didn’t drive in Friday practice last year for Williams,” said Bottas ahead of this weekend’s race.
However he believe he will be able to get to grips with the track quickly: “I will be doing a lot of simulator work ahead of the Grand Prix to get used to the layout because it has a lot of corners that come in quick succession.”
“I’m normally quite fast at learning new tracks though and showed in Montreal this year that I can quickly get up to speed.”
Team mate Pastor Maldonado starred at this race last year, qualifying second on the grid and running third until he suffered a hydraulic failure.
His chances of repeating his front row start this year are slim as the Williams FW35 is firmly at the rear of the midfield. But he believes he knows all the tricks to a quick lap around Singapore:
“I had a very strong qualifying here last year, finishing in second place,” he said, “so I feel like this layout suits my eye and I know how to squeeze every tenth out of the lap time.”
- Vettel suspects Mercedes of sandbagging during practice 0
- Mattiacci determined to turn around Ferrari’s failing season 1
- Hamilton recovers in FP2 to edge out Alonso and Rosberg 0
- Alonso fastest in first practice for Chinese GP 1
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 3
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)