Sep 17, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Felipe Massa has said he will not play a supporting role to Fernando Alonso in the championship from now on.
The Ferrari driver is being dropped by the team at the end of this year after four years alongside.
Massa told Brazilian television: “I will not race for Alonso from now on. From Friday in Singapore I will be working for myself.”
However Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo expects Massa to continue performing as before.
“They say he won’t help Fernando? Please!” said Montezemolo to La Gazzetta dello Sport. “He will definitely do so, giving us a hand for the constructors’ and Alonso for the drivers’.”
Massa also predicted sparks will fly between his successor Kimi Raikonen and Alonso next year: “I know both Fernando and Kimi on and off the track and I rate them as excellent drivers, but I’m afraid they will collide when sharing the team.”
Montezemolo praised Massa as “an exceptional guy and a wonderful person” but added “the relationship was clear – he needed results and so did we”.
“He did get some, but he was inconsistent, having some good races but not on a regular basis. In 2012, we felt the lack of his points in the constructors’. It will be good for him to have a change of scenery.”
Video from NASCAR America
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 0
- What now if your favorite driver is eliminated from Chase? 3
- Brad Keselowski wins at Talladega on 2nd G-W-C attempt, advances in Chase 10
- UPDATED: Chase contender Kyle Busch back on track after Lap 102 crash (VIDEO) 0
- Faced with must-win scenarios, Earnhardt, Johnson lead halfway at Talladega 0
- Surprising revelation: Dale Jr. admits he coasted earlier in his career — ‘I just rested on my legacy and last name’ 0
- With nothing left to do but win, Dale Earnhardt Jr. faces Talladega with optimism 0