“I will not race for Alonso from now on” says Massa

Sep 17, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Italy - Race Getty Images

Felipe Massa has said he will not play a supporting role to Fernando Alonso in the championship from now on.

The Ferrari driver is being dropped by the team at the end of this year after four years alongside.

Massa told Brazilian television: “I will not race for Alonso from now on. From Friday in Singapore I will be working for myself.”

However Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo expects Massa to continue performing as before.

“They say he won’t help Fernando? Please!” said Montezemolo to La Gazzetta dello Sport. “He will definitely do so, giving us a hand for the constructors’ and Alonso for the drivers’.”

Massa also predicted sparks will fly between his successor Kimi Raikonen and Alonso next year: “I know both Fernando and Kimi on and off the track and I rate them as excellent drivers, but I’m afraid they will collide when sharing the team.”

Montezemolo praised Massa as “an exceptional guy and a wonderful person” but added “the relationship was clear – he needed results and so did we”.

“He did get some, but he was inconsistent, having some good races but not on a regular basis. In 2012, we felt the lack of his points in the constructors’. It will be good for him to have a change of scenery.”

1. 1ambetterthanyou - Sep 18, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Wow…a third rate driver that can’t win a single race, now decides to grow some balls and not support his team. Bad news for you Phil….you are a lackey and will do what you are told.

• apexassassin - Sep 18, 2013 at 3:46 PM

You are an idiot.

2. bikingscr016 - Sep 18, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Why the hell should he do what he’s told? A third rate driver? Do you even know what F1 stands for you idiot?

• 1ambetterthanyou - Sep 19, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Ahhh you have to love F1 fans….no one watches that series, so the 5 people that do think they are experts.

How many races has he won?
      How many times has his teammate outpaced him?
      how many times has Ferrari made any statements about him being an equal teammate?

He is driving one of the top 3 cars on the grid, yet can barely remain competitive.

Facts are facts.

• apexassassin - Sep 19, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Look it up. You are obviously talking shit and totally uninformed.

3. trixietrx - Sep 18, 2013 at 2:35 PM

NOT a 3rd rate driver! Almost a world champion! Who is Lotus getting engines from next year? If it’s Ferrari, bet Massa won’t have a choice again but to play 2nd fiddle for the rest of this year. Besides, he can’t control pit stops or strategy, so it’s really out of his hands.

I really hope he gets the drive with Lotus for next year. I’m not sure if he past his prime or how much that accident affected him, but I think he’s got fight and team spirit, and I still want to watch him race.

4. bikingscr016 - Sep 19, 2013 at 11:16 AM

He can’t remain competitive because Ferrari demands him to fall behind Alonso. Did you watch Monza? You’re the expert , yet I’m schooling you with facts.
    Yes he’s crashed out plenty of times like at Monaco, but when he does have opportunity he’s forced to play set-up guy for Alonso.

Go actually watch a race and come back to apologize to me.

5. bikingscr016 - Sep 19, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Haha, apex it’s so cute trying to watch you argue on f1. I know you’re probably new to the sport, so don’t argue with me on this. Go argue on the NFL or something.

6. worknman24hours - Sep 21, 2013 at 10:24 AM

About three years too late,Felipe.

7. techmeister1 - Sep 24, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Ya have to laugh at the clueless comments about Massa considering he’s a F1 world champion who has beaten Schumacher, Kimi and Alonos on numerous occasions in addition to winning the driver’s championship.

If Massa ends up in a Lotus next year both Kimi and Alonso may be chasing Massa’s rear diffuser all season long.

Video from NASCAR America