Sep 17, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
Brad Keselowski may not be in the 2013 Chase for the Sprint Cup, but NASCAR’s defending champion didn’t get through Chicago without making any announcements.
Keselowski’s likeness will be featured in Ubisoft’s new game “Watch Dogs,” which launches in November for both next-generation and current generation platforms. It’s a game where players will be immersed as a vigilante in a recreation of Chicago, to have the ability to hack into the central operating system and control almost every element of the city.
It may sound like an abnormal partnership, but it fits with Keselowski’s love of playing video games and his goal to attract a newer, younger demographic to NASCAR.
“I like to do things that are authentic to me,” Keselowski said in a phone interview Saturday. “I play a lot of video games myself – many similar to ‘Watch Dogs’ – this was my chance to be a part of one, so I jumped on it. I just like the way this fits me, who I am, and my generation.”
Video games served as a needed distraction for Keselowski after winning last year’s title.
“These types of games I play over the offseason, as I usually have the most amount of time to really kill, but I still have a lot of fun with it,” he said. “I pulled a 26-hour shift last year after I won the championship – I just needed to get away from everything. I played another game of Ubisoft’s. It’s a great escape for me to get away from racing.”
Keselowski isn’t hoping to “take much out of it” as much he is expose the sport to a different audience.
His day job resumes with the next round of the season at Loudon, N.H. this weekend.
- Dixon’s latest title a story of consistency, comeback, typical “Ice Man” cool 0
- Double points reverse Montoya’s IndyCar championship hopes (VIDEO) 16
- Scott Dixon captures Sonoma race win and 2015 IndyCar championship (VIDEO) 15
- Robin Miller pays tribute to Justin Wilson (VIDEO) 3
- WATCH LIVE: IndyCar’s championship decided in Sonoma at 1 p.m. PT, 4 ET on NBCSN 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Sonoma (4 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Porsche’s no. 17 car surges to maiden WEC victory in 6 Hours of Nürburgring 2