Sep 17, 2013, 5:00 PM EST
Brad Keselowski may not be in the 2013 Chase for the Sprint Cup, but NASCAR’s defending champion didn’t get through Chicago without making any announcements.
Keselowski’s likeness will be featured in Ubisoft’s new game “Watch Dogs,” which launches in November for both next-generation and current generation platforms. It’s a game where players will be immersed as a vigilante in a recreation of Chicago, to have the ability to hack into the central operating system and control almost every element of the city.
It may sound like an abnormal partnership, but it fits with Keselowski’s love of playing video games and his goal to attract a newer, younger demographic to NASCAR.
“I like to do things that are authentic to me,” Keselowski said in a phone interview Saturday. “I play a lot of video games myself – many similar to ‘Watch Dogs’ – this was my chance to be a part of one, so I jumped on it. I just like the way this fits me, who I am, and my generation.”
Video games served as a needed distraction for Keselowski after winning last year’s title.
“These types of games I play over the offseason, as I usually have the most amount of time to really kill, but I still have a lot of fun with it,” he said. “I pulled a 26-hour shift last year after I won the championship – I just needed to get away from everything. I played another game of Ubisoft’s. It’s a great escape for me to get away from racing.”
Keselowski isn’t hoping to “take much out of it” as much he is expose the sport to a different audience.
His day job resumes with the next round of the season at Loudon, N.H. this weekend.
Video from NASCAR America
- Alonso: My next move won’t be a surprise for anybody 0
- Will the weight of expectation prove to be too great for Lewis Hamilton in Abu Dhabi? 0
- With Vettel, Alonso, Mercedes and Renault all on the move, Abu Dhabi will mark the end of an era in F1 0
- 2014 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Preview 0
- Sebastian Vettel joins Ferrari for 2015 season, partnering Kimi Raikkonen 0
- Ferrari confirms Alonso will leave at end of 2014 F1 season 0
- Report: Kurt Busch meets with police over assault claims by ex-girlfriend 0