Sep 17, 2013, 7:15 PM EDT
The first day of qualifying is in the books at the 50th running of the SCCA National Championship Runoffs at Elkhart Lake’s Road America. Some news and notes regarding the day’s fastest qualifiers, which included track records set in 11 classes:
- Lee Alexander set a 1:59.638 in the C Sports Racer class, fastest time on the day and the second driver into the sub-2-minute range at the SCCA Runoffs in Road America history. The CSR and DSR classes were the first session of the day on a cool, fast track. Scott Tucker, who is not racing at this year’s Runoffs, set the record lap of 1:58.997 in a West WX10/ST10 D Sports Racer entry a year ago.
- The two heaviest populated classes, Spec Miata (70 cars entered) and Spec Racer Ford (54) ran solo qualifying sessions. The rest of the 28 classes ran in combined group sessions.
- SM saw no less than 15 cars break the old track record, with Jim Drago fastest of them at a 2:41.862. Brian Schofield led the way in SRF at 2:37.974.
- Two drivers, Andrew Aquilante and Lawrence Loshak, set the fastest time in more than one class. Aquilante accomplished the feat in T1 and GT2, with Loshak doing likewise in FB and HP.
- Peter Portante, who races full-time in the USF2000 National Championship on IndyCar’s Mazda Road to Indy ladder, led the Formula Continental (FC) field at 2:11.394 driving for the local ArmsUp Motorsports team, based in nearby Sheboygan Falls.
- Nearly one minute separates the fastest time of the day – Alexander’s sub-2-minute flier – and the slowest fast time coming from B-Spec, Joel Weinberger at 2:54.936.
- Ironic fastest qualifier of the day award? That would be your American Sedan pace-setter, Tom Sloe. I’ll be here all night.
Classes, Fastest Tuesday qualifier and time CSR/DSR: CSR, Lee Alexander, 1:59.638. DSR, Chris Farrell, 2:01.662. SM: SM, Jim Drago, 2:41.862. GT1/T1: GT1, Cliff Ebben, 2:03.917. T1, Andrew Aquilante, 2:14.673. FA/FB: FA, Sedat Yelkin, 2:03.089. FB, Lawrence Loshak, 2:04.786. FP/HP: FP, Mark Carpenter, 2:33.193. HP, Lawrence Loshak, 2:41.750. GT2/GT3: GT2, Andrew Aquilante, 2:14.320. GT3, Mike Henderson, 2:23.405. F500/FV: F500, James Weida, 2:21.517. FV, Michael Varacins, 2:41.293. STU/STL: STU, Marc Hoover, 2:24.693. STL, Rob Huffmaster, 2:32.995. T2/AS: T2, Kurt Rezzetano, 2:24.619. AS, Tom Sloe, 2:26.570. FC/FF: FC, Peter Portante, 2:11.395. FF, Tim Kautz, 2:21.221. EP/GTL: EP, Aaron Downey, 2:29.795. GTL, Robert Lentz, 2:33.281. FE/FM/S2: FE, Scott Rettich, 2:13.403. FM, Doug Peterson, 2:16.042. S2, Mark Mercer, 2:18.276. SRF: SRF, Brian Schofield, 2:37.974. T3/T4/ T3, Chad Gilsinger, 2:31.631. T4, Michael Scornavacchi, 2:40.493. B-SPEC: B-SPEC, Joel Weinberger, 2:54.936.
- Richard Petty to return at Richmond, first race since wife Lynda’s death 0
- NASCAR VP: 2015 Sprint Cup engine package to be revealed before All-Star Race 0
- Too much, too fast, too soon: The sad saga of Swan Racing 0
- IndyCar: Will high grip and high tempers equal high drama at Barber? 2
- NHRA drag racing superstar John Force goes on vacation — at a dragstrip, of course 0
More from NASCAR America
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (13)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)