Sep 17, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
Sir Stirling Moss (84) and Damon Hill (53) celebrate birthdays this Tuesday. The pair of Englishmen each made their mark in Formula One in different decades.
Moss is widely considered the best driver to have never won a World Championship, with 16 career victories, four runner-up and three third-place finishes in the championship in the 1950s and ’60s. Unfortunately, Moss was in the news earlier this year for another reason entirely, when he made some disparaging comments regarding the ability level of women in motorsport. It got widely panned by media and other female drivers, including Williams F1 reserve driver Susie Wolff, in the aftermath.
Hill (pictured), son of two-time World Champion Graham, secured his lone World Championship in 1996 for Williams. Unfortunately for Damon, that came after a two-year run where he had lost to Michael Schumacher in the then-all-conquering Benetton, and Hill was sacked at the end of the 1996 season. He had a miserable title defense with Arrows in 1997, despite nearly winning the Hungarian Grand Prix, and scored his 22nd and final win in what was Jordan Grand Prix’s first ever triumph at Spa in 1998.
Damon Hill’s son Josh Hill was growing his racing career this year after finishing third in the Formula Renault 2.0 series in 2012. But the youngest Hill, 22, announced his retirement citing a lack of comfort and “100 percent devotion” to the sport.
- Alonso fastest in first practice for Chinese GP 0
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 1
- VIDEO: Chinese GP Paddock Pass 0
- BREAKING NEWS: Swan Racing’s future in NASCAR in question 2
- Long Beach weekend atmosphere thrills Roger Daltrey, as he promotes Teen Cancer America 0
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)