Sep 18, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
The organizers of the planned F1 street race in New Jersey still believe they will be on the 2014 calendar despite being left off a draft schedule last month.
“We never had any expectation of being on a preliminary schedule,” race promoter Leo Hindery Jnr told Sporting Life.
“The calendar decision will be made later this month, and although I can’t guarantee anything, we fully expect to be on it.”
It’s almost two years since the original announcement of the ambitious plan to bring Formula One to the Hudson River waterfront, in sight of the famed Manhattan skyline.
Although F1 has accepted the possibility of holding a second race in the USA alongside the United States Grand Prix at the Circuit of the Americas, the first attempt to get the race on the calendar this year failed.
“Hands down this has been the toughest challenge of my career,” Hindery admitted.
He said Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone is behind the project, providing they deliver everything on time: “Bernie told us if we stayed consistent with the rules and applications then he would expect there to be a New Jersey race.”
“Time-wise, we have done everything we have been told to do, and when to do it.”
New Jersey is one of four venues vying to join the calendar next year, along with Austria, Mexico and Russia.
- Alexander Rossi confirms return to GP2 in 2015 with Racing Engineering 0
- FIA issues updated F1 entry list including “Manor Marussia” 0
- Fernando Alonso thanks fans for support following crash 0
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Thursday 0
- Massa fastest for Williams as final F1 pre-season test begins 5
- Ron Dennis clears up Alonso crash rumors; confirms he was briefly knocked unconscious but was not concussed 3
- McLaren confirms Alonso leaves hospital, and is out for final test 0