Sep 19, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Williams rookie Valtteri Bottas has acknowledged that his best chance to score his first points in Formula One will come at this weekend’s Singapore Grand Prix thanks to the circuit’s high rate of attrition.
Traditionally, there have been a large number of retirements during the race at Marina Bay, meaning that drivers lower down the grid do get a chance to move up into the points. For example, at last year’s race, Timo Glock managed to finish P12 for Marussia; a result that very nearly secured the team tenth place in the 2012 constructors’ championship. Furthermore, in every edition of the race so far, there has been at least one safety car period. For Bottas, this does present a good chance to pick up some points.
“I think so, this should be the place to get the points,” the Finn said when asked by NBC Sports in Friday’s press conference whether Singapore would be the best opportunity for him to get off the mark.
“Like you said, a lot of things can happen in the race and safety cars etc. If some of the little updates work and we can get a little more speed and be a bit closer to the top ten in pure pace, then it’s always possible to get points and we need to keep pushing for that.”
Williams have endured a nightmarish season so far, scoring just a solitary point from the opening thirteen races. This kind of form is a far cry from their achievements in 2012, when Pastor Maldonado won the Spanish Grand Prix and Bruno Senna was a regular points scorer. However, in a race notorious for surprises, the team’s luck could be set to change.
- Preview: Detroit’s doubleheader a crucial weekend for IndyCar championship 0
- ARCA: From welder to race car driver, Sarah Cornett-Ching continues her building prowess 1
- Taylor Swift to be featured on Tony Kanaan’s IndyCar in Detroit; will she make it to track? 7
- Surprises, struggles: NHRA at one-third mark of ’15 season 4
- FIA seeking new teams for Formula 1 in 2016 and 2017 6
- Gossage to Walker: “We need a more competitive race this year than last year” 2
- Volkswagen Andretti pair of Foust, Speed seek better fortunes, consistency 0