Sep 19, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Speculation surrounding Jenson Button’s future at McLaren continues to persist after the British driver once again acknowledged that a deal is yet to be signed for 2014, although he is confident that he will be racing for the team in 2014.
“I’ve got a good feeling I’ll be here next year,” Button explained. “That’s as much as I can say. I’m happy.”
Button was in a jovial mood on Thursday, making light of a mistake that saw him walk into Lotus’ hospitality unit.
“I walked out of the toilet and straight into Lotus. Luckily enough there wasn’t a snapper ready and waiting!”
Looking ahead from 2014, Button said that he was excited about McLaren’s new engine deal with Honda in 2015, with the Japanese manufacturer set to return to Formula One after a seven-year break.
“I think for the team it’s fantastic for the future, and I think for any driver within this team in the future, I think it’s a great opportunity working with such a big manufacturer, especially when such big changes are in line,” Button said.
The 2009 world champion has finished in second place at the last two Singapore Grands Prix, and although the pace of the MP4-28 car means that a repeat is unlikely this weekend, he will be keen on scoring as many points as possible in order to keep the team ahead of Force India in the constructors’ championship.
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 (5)
- The Dos Equis guy will give NASCAR’s start your engines command in Las Vegas (5)