Sep 19, 2013, 11:00 AM EST
Esteban Gutierrez is refusing to look beyond the end of this season despite speculation surrounding his future beginning to intensify.
The Mexican driver currently races for Sauber, but with eighteen-year-old Sergey Sirotkin set to join the outfit next season, the Swiss team may be keen on a driver with more experience than Gutierrez to accompany him. For Gutierrez though, the first priority is scoring his first points in Formula One.
“I think that at the moment I focus on this season,” he explained. “From the personal point of view, for myself and also for the team, and in general for my career it’s important to solve what I need to solve first, and then see what’s coming for next season.
“Obviously I always want to be the quickest driver, I want to achieve the best results and I’m in the process to consolidate myself and to achieve that in a consistent way in the future.”
Gutierrez stressed that he was still developing as a driver, and that the team has never seen him as a ‘one-season driver’.
“The team knows my development from three years ago already. We have been close together and this is not a one-year plan, obviously we look for the future. I’m not speaking about next year, I’m speaking about my development and right now the part of my development at this moment is very important.”
Having not scored a single point so far this season, Gutierrez could be poised to break his duck at the Singapore Grand Prix this weekend. Traditionally, the race has experienced a high rate of attrition as many drivers drop out and retire, which could give Gutierrez a chance to break into the top ten and get off the mark in F1.
- Bottas leads as McLaren-Honda delayed on first day of Abu Dhabi test 1
- Steve Letarte reflects on Hendrick Motorsports career in “exit interview” (VIDEO) 3
- Weekend wrap: Lewis Hamilton back on top of the F1 mountain 4
- Maurizio Arrivabene replaces Marco Mattiacci as Ferrari team principal 4
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Sunday 0
- Hamilton calls second title victory “the greatest day of my life” 3
- Hamilton clinches second F1 world title by winning Abu Dhabi GP 11