Sep 19, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
Felipe Massa is keen on leaving Ferrari in the best possible fashion after it was confirmed last week that the Brazilian driver would not be racing for the team in 2014.
Massa joined the team in 2003 as a test driver before eventually stepping up to become Michael Schumacher’s teammate in 2006. During his eight seasons with the team, he has won eleven grands prix and came close to winning the world championship in 2008. Having enjoyed such success with the team, he is keen on leaving in the best possible fashion.
“I think the expectation is always to try to do the best in these last seven races,” Massa explained. “I’ve had a fantastic career together with Ferrari, for a long time. It’s a large part of my story.
“The most years of my career are with Ferrari: eight years as an official driver, but also a few years as a young driver. I lived near Ferrari in 2003. I went there every day for the team and for the drivers, so I know everyone who is working there. I have a lot of friends inside the team, so I want to finish in the best way possible in these seven races, and try the best we can to have the best results.”
Massa suffered a huge accident at the 2009 Hungarian Grand Prix, forcing him to miss the remainder of that season. The fact that he was able to return to the wheel of the car for the 2010 season was staggering, yet his on-track performances failed to match those of teammate Fernando Alonso. Although he has helped Alonso’s bid to become world champion with Ferrari, his lack of pace has seen the Italian marque fail to challenge for the constructors’ since 2008.
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 12
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 5
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 47
- Kyle Busch outduels Joey Logano for Nationwide win in Dover 2