Sep 19, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
Chicagoland winner Matt Kenseth heads to the second round of the 2013 NASCAR Chase for the Sprint Cup with a historic landmark he’s hitting. He’ll run a special silver paint scheme on his No. 20 Husky/Dollar General/Home Depot Toyota for Joe Gibbs Racing to celebrate his 500th Sprint Cup Series start.
Kenseth isn’t alone in hitting a milestone or anniversary at Loudon this Sunday. One-time teammate and mentor Mark Martin, who was instrumental in Kenseth’s early years in NASCAR from 1998 through 2000 at Roush Racing, will start his 875th Cup race on Sunday in the No. 14 Stewart-Haas Racing Chevrolet. He trails only Richard Petty (1,185), Ricky Rudd (906), Terry Labonte (885) and Dave Marcis (883) on the all-time list.
David Gilliland also makes his 250th career start this weekend. The driver of the No. 38 Front Row Motorsports Ford hasn’t made many headlines over the course of his career, but is a former Daytona 500 polesitter and finished second to teammate David Ragan at Talladega earlier this year in a shock result. Gilliland’s team, meanwhile, was in the news for its role in potential position-swapping for payoff with Penske Racing at Richmond. Joey Logano said the pass on Gilliland was “not that big a deal.”
Meanwhile, defending Sylvania 300 champion Denny Hamlin returns to the site of his most recent NASCAR Sprint Cup Series victory one year later, having not visited victory lane since.
Video from NASCAR America
- Still searching: Castroneves finishes 14th, falls short of IndyCar title (VIDEO) 0
- Will Power claims 2014 IndyCar title as Tony Kanaan ties season win record in Fontana 0
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. on Tony Stewart’s return to racing: ‘I’m sure that’s where he wants to be’ 0
- Kevin Harvick in a class of his own, dominates Atlanta NNS race 0
- WATCH LIVE: IndyCar crowns its champion tonight at Fontana 1
- Lessons learned from Dale Earnhardt death readily seen in way NASCAR has dealt with Tony Stewart tragedy 2
- Aleshin conscious following heavy accident in MAVTV 500 final practice (UPDATED, VIDEO) 4