Singapore GP coverage highlights 15 hours of racing on NBCSN this weekend

Sep 19, 2013, 6:00 PM EST

Marina Bay circuit illuminated at dusk Reuters

Formula One’s top drivers will race under the lights this weekend at the SingTel Singapore Grand Prix, highlighting NBCSN’s 15.5 hours of motorsports coverage. Live coverage of the Singapore Grand Prix, Formula One’s original night-time race, will begin on Sunday at 7:30 a.m. on NBCSN.

NBCSN’s live coverage of the Singapore Grand Prix begins with practice on Friday at 9:30 a.m. ET. Coverage of qualifying will be live streamed on NBC Sports Live Extra – NBC Sports Group’s live streaming product for desktops, mobile devices and tablets – on Saturday at 9:30 a.m. ET, and can be seen on NBCSN at 3:30 p.m. ET. F1 Extra, NBC Sports Group’s half-hour post-race show, will air immediately following the conclusion of the Singapore Grand Prix on Sunday.

The 2008 Singapore Grand Prix was Formula One’s inaugural night-time race. The illuminated Marina Bay Street Circuit continues to serve as the star of one of F1’s premier annual events, and remains the only F1 race to be held “under the lights”.

Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull) aims for his third straight victory in the Singapore Grand Prix after taking the checkered flag the past two years. Vettel leads the F1 driver standings with 221 points and looks to build on his momentum following a first-place finish at the Italian Grand Prix two weeks ago. Vettel has won four of the last six races on the F1 schedule, and leads second-ranked Fernando Alonso(Ferrari) by 47 points. Vettel and Alonso have combined to win four of five races at the Marina Bay Street Circuit since F1’s debut at Singapore in 2008; Vettel stood atop the podium the past two years, while Alonso took the checkered flag in 2008 and 2010.

NBCSN will also air episodes of Mobil 1 The Grid and TRANSLOGIC this week as part of NBCSN’s motorsports coverage.

The full release is linked here, via the NBC Sports Group Press Box website.

Date Coverage Network Time (ET)
Thur., September 19 Mobil 1 The Grid NBCSN 9 p.m.
TRANSLOGIC NBCSN 12:30 a.m.
TRANSLOGIC NBCSN 1 a.m.
TRANSLOGIC NBCSN 1:30 a.m.
Fri., September 20 F1 Singapore Grand Prix – Practice NBCSN 9:30 a.m.
Sat., September 21 F1 Singapore Grand Prix – Practice (Encore) NBCSN 1 a.m.
F1 Singapore Grand Prix – Qualifying NBC Sports Live Extra 9:30 a.m.
F1 Singapore Grand Prix – Qualifying NBCSN 3:30 p.m.
Sun., September 22 F1 Singapore Grand Prix – Qualifying (Encore) NBCSN 1 a.m.
F1 Singapore Grand Prix NBCSN 7:30 a.m.
F1 Extra NBCSN 10 a.m.
F1 Singapore Grand Prix (Encore) NBCSN 1:30 p.m.
F1 Extra (Encore) NBCSN 4 p.m.
*Dates and times subject to change

1. sacmo294 - Sep 19, 2013 at 6:30 PM

I want to thank NBC for killing F1 coverage in the states…
    I’m guessing the races will be pre-empted by infomercials next year…

• indycarseries500 - Sep 19, 2013 at 8:16 PM

How are they killing it? They air FP2, qualifying and the race every weekend. All races live, most FP2s and qualifying sessons live and all of those live online. Looking at the ratings they’re giving us a lot more open wheel coverage than they probably should.

Would you also like to tell me who’s going to do better? We have it pretty good.

• apexassassin - Sep 19, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Anyone? Not covering Fp1 and 3, ok I can see that. But to claim to be the “Home of Open Wheel Racing” and then not show Quali (and some races, depending on the market) live is a slap in the face to even the average F1 fan who has spent the last few decades being awake at odd hours to view the sport we love.

You keep countering the F1 fans dedication and I don’t see why you care. I couldn’t give a rats ass about cycling, yachting, the EPL, or your beloved Indycar series. I’m here for F1 and NBC thusfar hasn’t got it together… which is truly amazing considering the own 35% of the networks on my cable package. A real F1 fan won’t suffer this bullshit no matter how much we love our commentary team. I know what I’ve done for years is watch Speed’s non-broadcast sessions (Fp1 and 3 plus their bullshit tape delayed on Fox events) here:

http://www.eplsite.com (using chrome and ad blocker works best) for FREE and LIVE full coverage from Sky in low def… once again I wonder why I’m paying Comcast for a service they don’t provide.

• mycrackers - Sep 21, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Because I have to go to a computer to watch qualifying…OH wait, that won’t work either…My cable company doesn’t have a deal with NBCliveextra…SPEED was a reliable platform for Formula 1…NBC obviously has other priorities. If Bernie wanted a Formula 1 platform in the US he chose poorly…

• apexassassin - Sep 19, 2013 at 8:29 PM

If F1 got the coverage it deserves Nascar and Indycar would suffer…

that’s my best guess, even though NONE of their drivers will ever be World Champion and both cater to old people and clueless rednecks who couldn’t even find Europe on a map.

Like it or not, F1 is the top tier of autoracing – even with crappy tires and hybrid engines (which to me are like the Anti-Christ of racing, like ovals) it’s still way more interesting and higher performing than anything that isn’t WRC or Endurance Racing.

• indycarseries500 - Sep 20, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Without a dedicated motorsports channel who else in the States is even going to give us qualifying or even all the races live with in depth pre and post race? Fox won’t, ESPN won’t, I’m just defending NBC because they give us a lot more than the numbers indicate they probably should. I’m not questioning anyone’s dedication because I probably have the same dedication as you, I can just see the business side of it and I understand why these decisions get made.

• apexassassin - Sep 20, 2013 at 7:05 PM

How about “The Home of Open Wheel Racing”?

• alfredoaguiar01 - Sep 21, 2013 at 10:51 AM

You are right, that guys should cover it all or let somebody else who knows what to doing, do the job. How can a company cover the practice and live the qualifying uncover? Ô, but you can watch it on nbc sports live wherever. But how about if you do not have that “thing”?
      It’s a really poor coverage, and at the time the race starts, we need to watch half of the race on info commercials of the NBC TV, because they think the sponsors breaks are not enough to destroy the transmission.
      May they take a look how the Brazilian TV, Rede Globo, make the transmission, for sure they can learn a lot!!!

2. alanrjr - Sep 19, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Is today not Thursday the 19th?

Mobile 1 the Grid is not on my NBSSN channel. Auctions America is. I can’t stand shows like that but I like how they trick me to tune into because I’m hoping to see something else.

3. sduncan51 - Sep 20, 2013 at 12:06 AM

NBC hired a great on-air staff. The commentary is top shelf just like Speed. But their scheduling sucks. Hey NBC qualifying matters. The people who watch F1 are serious fans. Qualifying is a much a part of the race weekend as what happens on Sunday. Why bury it early Sunday.

Figure out how to do this right.

4. racingmatt - Sep 20, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Like the people, no complaints about the NBCSN broadcast itself. But come on,
    “SingTel Singapore Grand Prix, highlighting NBCSN’s 15.5 hours of motorsports coverage.”
    Sat qualifying is not on the guide of my DVR. The time slot advertised as the time delayed broadcast says America’s Cup Yachting coverage. Can’t find it sooner or later on the guide anywhere.

• racingmatt - Sep 20, 2013 at 11:41 AM

OK, I did just find it at midnight. Doesn’t leave me much time before the actual race. I don’t get up THAT early or stay up that late anymore.
      NBCSN does seem to put F1 much lower on the priority list than I would.

• indycarseries500 - Sep 20, 2013 at 11:44 AM

The live time advertised is for NBC live extra which can be found at stream.nbcsports.com or on the NBC Sports Live Extra App

5. f1spd - Sep 20, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Why can’t qualifying be shown live on another NBC network? There was no hesitation to show F1 on CNBC earlier this year. It looks like there are just infomercials on CNBC during qualifying.

With the switch from Speed to NBC, I expected the coverage to get better and not be preempted. I don’t consider live coverage on Live Extra to be an improvement. I would much rather watch F1 on my large HDTV with surround sound than a crappy stream on my PC.

6. dinkirk - Sep 20, 2013 at 6:25 PM

You know NBC – When Speed Channel had F1 they did it right. As others have posted, qualifying is a big part of the weekend. Too big to wait until Sunday at 12:30 AM. Tell you what. I’ll just skip the broadcast and find out what happens on one of several internet sites Saturday morning. That way, I can be rested for the race.

Please reconsider this strategy for future races.

7. phizog2013 - Sep 20, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Wow. Qualifying live is at 8AM local and I need to wait until 12AM Sunday morning to watch the event or record and watch before the race at 7AM the next morning???. How disappointing.

What is NBC thinking??? With this kind of coverage I long for the good old days at Speed. So much for promoting the F1 sport.

8. cuffyf1 - Sep 21, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Fox sports1 would have carried F1 qualifying at its appropriate time. NBC doesn’t give a S#!t about the sport or it’s fans. Thanks so much!!!!

9. mycrackers - Sep 21, 2013 at 9:54 AM

If you want to grow a product it has to first, be a good product, which NBC’s product is, but you also have to get people to sample it before deciding if they like or not…Showing qualifying at Midnight or forcing people to the computer to get a password to watch it (If their cable company has an agreement with NBC) completely takes away those opportunities…I have a friend who just text me that he found it on Univision on his cable, but that just tells me there’s no real effort to build the sport in this country…

10. impatientinventor - Sep 21, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I’m watching on Univision and trying to learn Spanish quickly.

I am disappointed in NBCSports but I am ELATED that Univision has enough respect to show it live. If this is what finally inspires me to learn Spanish then I can’t complain.

Yea Univision Booooo NBCSports

11. mdunlap24 - Sep 21, 2013 at 10:15 AM

This is bs. NBC Sports doesn’t care about F1. I can’t watch live on TV or the app. For some reason it’s not on there. The replay is supposed to be on at 3:30, but because Oracle got lucky in the America’s Cup and Team New Zealand wasn’t able to close out the Cup, race they are racing today as well. This is a big fail. Qualifying is important to the racing and to shove if off is unthinkable.

12. toecutter0 - Sep 21, 2013 at 10:47 AM

“Singapore GP coverage highlights 15 hours of racing on NBCSN this weekend*”

*except for the second most important hour, qualifying, which will be shown as a LIVE stream only.

This is complete nonsense. Way to go, NBCSN. You couldn’t make it through your rookie season of F1 w/o making at least one bonehead move. This confirms my suspicions that NBCSN still doesn’t understand F1, despite bringing the Speed crew along. Perhaps you they should have snagged the programming director as well?

When will FOM just do an annual web streaming pass, with all sessions available for a fixed annual fee?

13. f1polesitter - Sep 21, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I was blown a way by the comment during practice when Diffey said “we MAY show qualifying at 3:30″ – what a way to run a tv station!
    Well I MAY just have to stop watching NBCSN!!! At least Speed respected the sport and the F1 viewer.

14. f1polesitter - Sep 21, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Does anyone at NBCSN know what they are doing – even the TV listing above these comments shows Qualy at 3:30. What a bunch of idiots

15. jezza819 - Sep 21, 2013 at 3:47 PM

This is exactly what I was afraid of when NBC announced they were going to cover the EPL. That pushed F1 coverage to the back burner, other than the race, in the early morning US broadcast time. I think it’s going to get even worse in ’15 when NASCAR comes on NBC.

16. elgaspo - Sep 21, 2013 at 4:26 PM

[quote]And now they are not showing Yachting per the TV listing – They’re showing MLS soccer. [/quote]

You can almost hear the circus music playing in the background [steam calliope] as the programming quack-in-charge throws darts trying to figure out what to show on which slot. Soccer, yachting, what’s next….basket weaving, competition needlepoint?

Seriously, you’d figure if they outbid Speed for the right to cover F1 they would try to get their $ worth. Otherwise what’s the point? Spend beaucoup bucks & relegate qualifying coverage at 1 am. Weak sauce, sir! And as far as watching it on a computer: I pay a rather steep cable bill to watch programming on my big-screen TV, not on my computer monitor.

NBC could learn a thing or 3,000 by observing what their European counterparts are doing. In Italy, F1 is a religion, and RAI has no commercials during races + their coverage is much more technical, replete w/ large up-close photos of the latest aerodynamic tricks employed by the teams for each race. I’ve seen cutaway drawings and heard highly detailed commentary that are mind-bendingly accurate instead of the inane drivel that passes as coverage at NBC.

Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches