Sep 20, 2013, 12:15 PM EST
Lewis Hamilton has mixed emotions following the first two practice sessions for this weekend’s Singapore Grand Prix as Mercedes failed to match Red Bull’s pace come the end of the day.
The Briton finished fastest in FP1 ahead of Mark Webber and Sebastian Vettel, but he could not challenge the duo in the second session, finishing over one second behind Vettel’s timesheet-topping time of 1:44.249. However, he is sure that the team can rectify the problems for qualifying on Saturday.
“It wasn’t the perfect Friday for us but we got on with our programme and know where we have to make improvements for tomorrow,” Hamilton said. “The balance of the car felt really good in P1 but it definitely went away from us in P2. There is a lot of work to do this evening but we’re used to that on a Friday night and will just get on with it and focus on our car and performance.”
Hamilton has enjoyed a good run of form in qualifying so far this season, claiming five pole positions for Mercedes during his maiden year with the German marque. He is focused on once again impressing on Saturday in Singapore, believing that good qualifying is key due to the lack of overtaking opportunities around the circuit.
“It’s so difficult to overtake around at this circuit that you want to qualify as high up as possible and, of course, aim for the front row but that will be tough.”
Having won the race in 2009, Hamilton has good memories of racing at Marina Bay, and he will be keen on adding another win to his collection on Sunday in Formula One’s annual night race.
- Agag: Formula E off to “incredible start” heading into U.S. swing 0
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 2
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 1
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Sunday 1