Sep 20, 2013, 8:00 PM EST
The “Rocketman” returned today at New Hampshire Motor Speedway, as Ryan Newman secured his second pole of the season for Sunday’s Sylvania 300 – the second race of the 2013 Chase for the Sprint Cup.
Newman, who sits eighth in the championship after finishing 10th last weekend in the post-season opener at Chicagoland Speedway, whipped around NHMS in track-record lap of 136.497 miles per hour.
“I’ve sat in here several times and probably on at least six other occasions, and said this was the birth place of track position,” Newman said on Friday afternoon. “And I strongly feel that it is in qualifying well and having that number one pit stall at the start of the race up front in clean air and all the things that go along with it.
“More important is the confidence to know that you have the fastest race car or at least can make it the fastest race car.”
Newman’s lap was enough to top the best from fellow Chaser and Chevy pilot Kasey Kahne, who turned in a time of 136.082 mph that was good enough for the outside of the front row.
Chase contenders will take up eight of the Top 10 starting positions for Sunday’s event. In addition to Newman and Kahne on Row 1, Jeff Gordon and Kurt Busch will line up on Row 2. Joey Logano and Kevin Harvick start on the outside of Row 3 and 4 respectively, and Row 5 features last week’s winner and Chase leader Matt Kenseth as well as Greg Biffle.
- Joey Logano wins Vegas pole, Penske claims front row again 0
- 5 storylines that could define the 2014 F1 season 1
- Indianapolis 500 2014 Qualifying Format Revealed 5
- Schumacher “still in the wake up phase” 0
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (6)
- Disastrous day for Red Bull as Vettel manages just half a lap (5)