Sep 20, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
Sebastian Vettel may have dominated the second practice session today in Singapore, but he is wary of closest-rivals Mercedes as the Silver Arrows look to bounce back from two disappointing weekends at Spa and Monza.
The German driver finished fastest in FP2, a full six-tenths ahed than his teammate Mark Webber and over one second clear of Mercedes’ pairing of Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton. His pace on the super-soft tire was highly impressive, yet he is refusing to get carried away and pre-empt a third straight win in Singapore.
“It was quite busy; it’s pretty hot out there, good fun and a nice place, but for all of us it’s quite hard work,” Vettel said after practice on Friday. “The time we set was a surprise today, I got a good lap in, but I don’t think it’s completely representative.
“We seem to be quick, but I think Mercedes will be very strong in qualifying tomorrow.”
The defending world champion also praised the changes made to turn ten for this year’s race. The old three-part chicane was removed due to concerns from the drivers, believing that it was unsuitable for an F1 car.
“I think turn ten is the best solution we have with the space that’s available,” Vettel said.
The move was also supported by Lewis Hamilton, who said yesterday: “It can’t be any worse than it was.”
Vettel has the opportunity to extend his lead in the drivers’ championship to over sixty points here in Singapore, which would dash all hopes his rivals may have had of preventing him from clinching a fourth straight title.
- Dixon’s latest title a story of consistency, comeback, typical “Ice Man” cool 0
- Double points reverse Montoya’s IndyCar championship hopes (VIDEO) 8
- Scott Dixon captures Sonoma race win and 2015 IndyCar championship (VIDEO) 12
- Robin Miller pays tribute to Justin Wilson (VIDEO) 3
- WATCH LIVE: IndyCar’s championship decided in Sonoma at 1 p.m. PT, 4 ET on NBCSN 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Sonoma (4 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Porsche’s no. 17 car surges to maiden WEC victory in 6 Hours of Nürburgring 2