Sep 21, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
Fernando Alonso has re-affirmed his future with Ferrari, admitting that he is unsure of what more he can say to dismiss reports suggesting he may be angling a move away from Maranello.
On Friday in Singapore, McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh admitted that he was interested in bringing Alonso back to the team ahead of Honda’s arrival in Formula One in 2015, with the Japanese manufacturer set to supply McLaren with engines. However, Alonso has rejected this notion, once again confirming that he wishes to end his Formula One career with Ferrari.
“I’ve been four races now saying that I will stay in Ferrari and I would like to end my career here and extend the contract, whatever they like,” Alonso said, ending rumors that he could make a shock return to McLaren at some point in the future.
Having qualified a lowly P7 in Singapore, Alonso appeared upbeat, suggesting that it was the best result possible given Ferrari’s pace at high downforce circuits such as Marina Bay.
“At a high downforce circuit, we were fourth fastest in Hungary, we can here and we are maybe fourth fastest,” he said. “It’s sad news for us, obviously, but nothing we can do now apart from preparing for the race tomorrow.”
Despite admitting that the team lacks the pace of Red Bull and Mercedes, Alonso was quick to remind journalists that the team is still ahead of Lotus and the Silver Arrows in the constructors’ championship.
“We are second in the world championship. That’s our strong point.”
Alonso starts directly behind teammate Felipe Massa in Singapore tomorrow, with the Brazilian set to make way for Kimi Raikkonen at the end of the season.
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 16
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 6
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 52