Sep 21, 2013, 3:30 PM EST
In another bit of major news regarding the 2014 TUDOR United SportsCar Championship, Porsche is set to run a two-car factory squad in the GT Le Mans class for the series’ inaugural campaign next year.
The operation, which is known as PORSCHE NORTH AMERICA, will feature the new Porsche 911 RSR, which earned top honors in the GTE-Pro class at this year’s 24 Hours of Le Mans as part of Porsche AG Team Manthey. The 911 RSR also serves as Porsche’s challenger in the FIA World Endurance Championship.
Headquarters will be at Porsche Motorsports North America in Santa Ana, California, with CORE Autosport to serve as the team’s competition partner. CORE currently competes in the American Le Mans Series as part of the GT and Prototype Challenge classes.
“North America is Porsche’s single largest road car and motorsports market. Therefore, we have decided to focus a full factory program in the newly formed series, similar to our competing in the World Endurance Championship together with Manthey Racing,” Germany-based Porsche Motorsport head Hartmut Kristen said in a statement.
“Having finally a unified platform to compete on has made the decision so much easier to enter a GT based Porsche factory team for the first time in American sports car racing.”
Porsche did not reveal the drivers for its new United SportsCar effort, but said in a press release that the manufacturer plans to have the roster made up of competitors from its factory driver stable.
- Cost cap, double points for Abu Dhabi part of new FIA regulation changes 7
- Team co-owned by Leonardo DiCaprio is 10th and last for FE 1
- Franchitti’s ride appears down to Briscoe or Tagliani vs. the field 2
- Jay Mohr’s skewering monologue stars at NASCAR banquet (VIDEO) 1
- Todt re-elected as FIA President, plans “ambitious” second term 1
- Eddie Gossage: “Foolish move” by F1 to go head-to-head with NASCAR at Texas (12)
- GP of America organizers issue statement on race postponement (10)
- IndyCar TV sked for 2014 released; 13 races to be shown on NBCSN (9)
- Cost cap, double points for Abu Dhabi part of new FIA regulation changes (9)
- NASCAR Sprint Cup silly season update for 2014 (8)