Sep 21, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
In another bit of major news regarding the 2014 TUDOR United SportsCar Championship, Porsche is set to run a two-car factory squad in the GT Le Mans class for the series’ inaugural campaign next year.
The operation, which is known as PORSCHE NORTH AMERICA, will feature the new Porsche 911 RSR, which earned top honors in the GTE-Pro class at this year’s 24 Hours of Le Mans as part of Porsche AG Team Manthey. The 911 RSR also serves as Porsche’s challenger in the FIA World Endurance Championship.
Headquarters will be at Porsche Motorsports North America in Santa Ana, California, with CORE Autosport to serve as the team’s competition partner. CORE currently competes in the American Le Mans Series as part of the GT and Prototype Challenge classes.
“North America is Porsche’s single largest road car and motorsports market. Therefore, we have decided to focus a full factory program in the newly formed series, similar to our competing in the World Endurance Championship together with Manthey Racing,” Germany-based Porsche Motorsport head Hartmut Kristen said in a statement.
“Having finally a unified platform to compete on has made the decision so much easier to enter a GT based Porsche factory team for the first time in American sports car racing.”
Porsche did not reveal the drivers for its new United SportsCar effort, but said in a press release that the manufacturer plans to have the roster made up of competitors from its factory driver stable.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Assessing Tony Stewart’s return at Atlanta (VIDEO) 0
- Feelin’ free: Frustrations end for Chase-bound Kahne, IndyCar champ Power 1
- Honda preps for first simulations, expresses confidence it can match Mercedes 4
- Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go 1
- Kasey Kahne rallies in last 2 laps to win at Atlanta, makes Chase 1
- Tony Stewart’s comeback hopes end with rough 41st-place finish at Atlanta 2
- Tony Stewart the obvious fan favorite during pre-race introductions at Atlanta 3