Sep 22, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Caterham have today confirmed that they have signed an agreement that extends their partnership with Renault for another three years, with the French manufacturer supplying the backmarkers with engines as Formula One enters a new era in 2014.
Although it was widely expected that the two parties would continue to work together, it has taken until now for formal confirmation to come through.
“Renault Sport F1 and Caterham F1 Team are delighted to confirm the extension of their partnership in the FIA Formula One World Championship for a further three years,” a statement read.
“From next year, Caterham F1 Team will be equipped with the Renault Energy F1, a cutting edge power plant designed for the radical new 2014 technical regulations.”
2014 sees the introduction of new V6 turbocharged engines as part of a significant change in regulations, and it is expected that the pecking order could be shaken up. Caterham team principal Cyril Abiteboul is confident that the team is best placed for these changes by working with Renault.
“The 2014 season heralds a new era for F1 with our sport taking a positive stance in aligning itself with the technical changes in the global automotive industry, and Renault is right at the cutting edge of that development,” Abiteboul said. “We work together in an open and honest manner to help Caterham F1 Team achieve its short-term goal of establishing itself as an integral part of F1 and to help Renault achieve the deserved recognition of its technical edge.”
With this extension, Caterham and Renault will continue to work together until the end of the 2016 season.
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 12
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 5
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 47
- Kyle Busch outduels Joey Logano for Nationwide win in Dover 2