Sep 22, 2013, 4:45 PM EDT
Red Bull team principal Christian Horner has congratulated Sebastian Vettel on taking such an imperious victory in Singapore today, believe that it is one of the German driver’s best performances in Formula One.
Vettel’s commanding victory at the Marina Bay Street Circuit came despite making a poor start and having his early lead eradicated by a safety car period. Eventually, he crossed the line thirty seconds ahead of closest challenger Fernando Alonso, and Horner believes that this was Vettel at his very best.
“It was a phenomenal performance by Sebastian,” Horner said. “It was one of his strongest ever drives, particularly after the safety car came out halfway through the race. It wasn’t the best moment for us and after that, Seb needed to pull out a gap of twenty-seven seconds. He pulled out thirty seconds in fifteen laps, at times lapping over two seconds quicker than the rest of the field.
“It was incredible to watch and it was a thoroughly deserved and really dominant victory today.”
Red Bull did not have it all their own way in Singapore though, with Mark Webber suffering from an overheating engine late on that forced him to retire on the final lap. However, the result does see Vettel extend his lead in the drivers’ championship to sixty points which, with just 150 left to play for, could prove to be unassailable.
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy 200 at 1:30 p.m. ET on CNBC, Live Extra 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Mid-Ohio (1:30 p.m. ET, CNBC and Live Extra) 0
- Hunter-Reay fastest in final Mid-Ohio warm up despite spinning out 0
- Cole Custer sails to first career ARCA win at Pocono, 9th first-time winner in series in 2015 0
- Dixon crushes lap record to score pole in Mid-Ohio (VIDEO) 1
- Johansson: Haas has done its homework ahead of F1 entry 1
- Dixon quickest with unofficial lap record in final practice at Mid-Ohio 0