Sep 22, 2013, 4:45 PM EDT
Red Bull team principal Christian Horner has congratulated Sebastian Vettel on taking such an imperious victory in Singapore today, believe that it is one of the German driver’s best performances in Formula One.
Vettel’s commanding victory at the Marina Bay Street Circuit came despite making a poor start and having his early lead eradicated by a safety car period. Eventually, he crossed the line thirty seconds ahead of closest challenger Fernando Alonso, and Horner believes that this was Vettel at his very best.
“It was a phenomenal performance by Sebastian,” Horner said. “It was one of his strongest ever drives, particularly after the safety car came out halfway through the race. It wasn’t the best moment for us and after that, Seb needed to pull out a gap of twenty-seven seconds. He pulled out thirty seconds in fifteen laps, at times lapping over two seconds quicker than the rest of the field.
“It was incredible to watch and it was a thoroughly deserved and really dominant victory today.”
Red Bull did not have it all their own way in Singapore though, with Mark Webber suffering from an overheating engine late on that forced him to retire on the final lap. However, the result does see Vettel extend his lead in the drivers’ championship to sixty points which, with just 150 left to play for, could prove to be unassailable.
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0
- Road To: Mercedes teaser – The very first Mercedes-Benz car (VIDEO) 0
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 1
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 2
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 3
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0
- Krista Voda to become host for NASCAR on NBC coverage next year 2