Sep 22, 2013, 4:30 AM EDT
The proposed Grand Prix of America in New Jersey has taken a step forward after it was confirmed last night that the application to host the race has been submitted to the national organization, ACCUS (Automobile Competitions Committee for the United States), paving the way for it to claim a place on the 2014 calendar.
The first draft calendar was released earlier this month, omitting the race from the schedule as Mexico City became a surprise inclusion, having last hosted a race in 1992. However, the organizers in New Jersey insisted that this was purely because the application had not been submitted to the national association, with race promoter Leo Hindery Jr. explaining earlier this month that he fully expected to be on the final calendar despite the setback. The Russian Grand Prix also missed its national deadline, yet it still appeared on the draft schedule.
Speaking to NBC Sports, a spokesperson from GP America said: “The ACCUS listing application was completed and submitted, as planned.”
Further to that, a report from Autosport in Singapore states that a space has been made for New Jersey on a revised ‘draft’ calendar for 2014, featuring an unprecedented twenty-two races. The slot for the race at Port Imperial has been listed as “to be confirmed” on June 1st, one week before the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal.
The World Motor Sport Council is set to meet at the end of the month in Croatia to finalize a provisional calendar. Should the race in New Jersey go ahead as planned in 2014, it would be the first time in thirty years that America has hosted two grands prix in one season.
- Rosberg fastest once again in second British GP practice 0
- Rosberg tops FP1 at Silverstone after gearbox change 0
- NHRA: Tony Pedregon hopes to keep momentum going in Norwalk 0
- NHRA: New president Peter Clifford full of ideas to get drag racing back on-track 8
- Ryan Briscoe making most of filling in for James Hinchcliffe 0
- F1 Strategy Group pushing through technical revolution for 2017, other changes planned as early as Belgian GP 6
- 2015 British Grand Prix Preview 1