Sep 23, 2013, 7:10 PM EST
Hulman & Co. CEO Mark Miles is expecting a vote from the company’s board on a potential 2014 road race for the IZOD IndyCar Series at Indianapolis Motor Speedway before the end of the month, according to Michael Marot of The Associated Press.
Rahal Letterman Lanigan’s Graham Rahal and Panther Racing’s Ryan Briscoe tested earlier this month on various configurations of IMS’ 2.6-mile road course in order to provide series and Speedway officials with feedback on how to raise its on-track product.
Miles has said that should an IndyCar road race take place, the circuit – originally created for Formula One and now currently hosting the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship and MotoGP – would undergo an upgrade.
The 2014 IZOD IndyCar Series calendar has yet to be fully revealed, although the Pirelli World Challenge recently announced that five of its 2014 events will be run in conjunction with the IndyCar contingent: St. Petersburg, Long Beach, Belle Isle/Detroit, Toronto and Mid-Ohio.
The potential addition of an IMS road race to the IndyCar schedule has met with mixed reaction but in his comments to the AP, Miles insisted that his focus remains wholly on the fans – both old and new.
“We care about all of our customers and about bringing in new customers,” Miles said. “This idea is part of a bigger plan to bring more people out here in May.”
Additionally, Miles indicated to the AP that there were “prospects” for title sponsors of the road race. Landing one of those would certainly please both IndyCar and IMS, which is seeking to increase revenue from its road-racing events.
Video from NASCAR America
- Jimmie Johnson: Kevin Harvick winning Sprint Cup title was “the right thing” 2
- 2014 F1 championship showdown preview: Nico Rosberg 0
- 2014 F1 championship showdown preview: Lewis Hamilton 0
- Hamilton quickest in second practice for Abu Dhabi GP 0
- First blood to Hamilton in Abu Dhabi as he tops FP1 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- The F1 champ is crowned on NBCSN from Abu Dhabi this weekend 0