Sep 24, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
Here’s a few news, notes and tidbits on the National Champions crowned at this past weekend’s 50th running of the SCCA Runoffs, the last for now held at Elkhart Lake’s Road America:
- In GTL, Chris Bovis edged Bobby Lentz by 0.007 of a second, for the closest ever margin of victory at the Runoffs in the transponder era. Not to be outdone, Tim Kautz beat Reid Hazelton by 0.1 of a second in FF.
- Andrew Aquilante (GT2, T1) and Lawrence Loshak (F1000, HP) took titles in two classes. Loshak’s titles gave him National Championships in four different classes (EP, DSR) for his career, only the fourth driver in history to do so.
- John Heinricy captured his 12th National Championship at the Runoffs when the top three in front of him, Tom Sloe, Michael Lavigne, and Jeff Werth, were disqualified from AS. Greg Ira took the EP crown when Matt Reynolds was penalized for contact.
- A tip of the hat to Peter Portante, the 17-year-old regular in USF2000 who took home the FC title in his Runoffs debut.
- Charlie James took the inaugural B-Spec title, while Mark Mercer captured the 34th and final S2000 crown.
- This year’s Runoffs had 701 drivers total, second-most all time trailing only Mid-Ohio in 2004 with 709.
- The Spec Miata class had a Runoffs record field of 69 cars, beating its old mark of 60 in class in 2010.
- All 28 class poles were set on Tuesday, with rain Wednesday and Thursday negating improvements.
Here’s a full rundown of class champions:
Class Champion, Hometown Formula Atlantic Sedat Yelkin, Canfield, OH Formula 1000 Lawrence Loshak, Grafton, WI Formula Continental Peter Portante, Plainville, CT Formula Enterprises Scott Rettich, Camden, OH Formula Vee Michael Varacins, Burlington, WI Formula F Tim Kautz, Geneva, IL Formula 500 James Weida, West Lafayette, IN Formula Mazda Darryl Wills, Houston GT-1 Cliff Ebben, Appleton, WI GT-2 Andrew Aquilante, Chester Springs, PA GT-3 Rob Warkocki, Frankfort, IL GT-Lite Chris Bovis, Lawrence, KS E Production Greg Ira, Plantation, FL F Production Mark Carpenter, Charlotte, NC H Production Lawrence Loshak, Grafton, WI American Sedan John Heinricy, Clarkston, MI Spec Miata Jim Drago, Memphis, TN C Sports Racing Lee Alexander, Las Vegas D Sports Racing Chris Farrell, Salt Lake City Sports 2000 Mark Mercer, Aurora, CO Spec Racer Ford Brian Schofield, Lakeland, FL Touring 1 Andrew Aquilante, Chester Springs, PA Touring 2 Andy Wolverton, Papillion, NE Touring 3 Chad Gilsinger, Marysville, OH Touring 4 Michael Scornavacchi, Matthews, NC B-Spec Charlie James, Joplin, MO STU Elivan Goulart, Shelton, CT STL Rob Huffmaster, Clarkston, MI
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Team Penske pushing for incredible season (VIDEO) 0
- Lotterer: “F1 (racing) isn’t what it used to be anymore” 0
- Joey Logano avoids “yellow fever,” wins at N.H. to advance in Chase 3
- Wreck involves several Chase drivers; Keselowski spins, suffers minor damage 1
- Rosberg reflects on a tough day in Singapore (VIDEO) 2
- Reports: 2015 Sprint Cup rules package expected to be released on Tuesday 2
- Hamilton rules in Singapore to re-take championship lead as Rosberg retires 1