Sep 24, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
Valvoline, a longtime partner of Ford teams in NASCAR, will switch to Chevrolet’s longtime flagship team Hendrick Motorsports in 2014.
The new multiyear agreement through 2017 will see Valvoline featured as a prominent associate sponsor on the four cars driven by Jimmie Johnson, Jeff Gordon, Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Kasey Kahne. Valvoline will also be the preferred oil for the Hendrick Automotive Group, the fleet of dealers owned by Hendrick Motorsports team boss Rick Hendrick.
Valvoline has past history with Hendrick – it was a lubricant technology partner for Gordon’s first three full seasons in Cup from 1993 to 1995 – and Hendrick himself won his first drag race at age 14 with Valvoline in the car.
Valvoline has long been associated with Roush Fenway Racing, notably on Mark Martin‘s No. 6 Ford and more recently with its green Valvoline NextGen brand featured on the No. 17 Ford driven by Matt Kenseth and this year, Ricky Stenhouse Jr. It has also been on the No. 13 Germain Racing Ford driven by Casey Mears this year.
Those longing for a return to the more traditional Valvoline blue, white and red would seem to have high hopes because all four Hendrick cars have a variation of blue paint schemes, with only Earnhardt Jr.’s Diet Mountain Dew livery in the green department.
Video from NASCAR America
- Bottas leads as McLaren-Honda delayed on first day of Abu Dhabi test 3
- Steve Letarte reflects on Hendrick Motorsports career in “exit interview” (VIDEO) 3
- Weekend wrap: Lewis Hamilton back on top of the F1 mountain 4
- Maurizio Arrivabene replaces Marco Mattiacci as Ferrari team principal 4
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Sunday 0
- Hamilton calls second title victory “the greatest day of my life” 3
- Hamilton clinches second F1 world title by winning Abu Dhabi GP 11