Sep 25, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
Ed Carpenter was part of the IZOD IndyCar Series’ test session Tuesday at Auto Club Speedway, the track where he took his single-car Fuzzy’s Vodka Ed Carpenter Racing team to victory lane a year ago.
Unfortunately, it wasn’t a smooth trip back to base in Indianapolis ahead of the series’ next race in Houston. Carpenter’s truck caught fire on the drive back in Arizona, and the team is assessing the damage. No one was injured.
A statement from Carpenter released Wednesday reads:
“Our ECR/Fuzzy’s Vodka trailer caught fire early this morning in Arizona, on I-40 near Flagstaff, after Tuesday’s test session at Fontana. Our truck drivers, Matt Giese and Jeff Hughes, are okay. The No. 20 Fuzzy’s Vodka Chevrolet race car and some equipment are also okay. We are still evaluating the damage at this time. We would like to thank the Andretti Autosport teams and their truck drivers who stopped to assist Matt and Jeff with the incident. We hope to have additional information on the trailer and equipment as soon as it is available.”
Carpenter currently sits 17th in the series standings.
Video from NASCAR America
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0
- Road To: Mercedes teaser – The very first Mercedes-Benz car (VIDEO) 0
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 1
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 2
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 3
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0
- Krista Voda to become host for NASCAR on NBC coverage next year 2