Sep 25, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
Ed Carpenter was part of the IZOD IndyCar Series’ test session Tuesday at Auto Club Speedway, the track where he took his single-car Fuzzy’s Vodka Ed Carpenter Racing team to victory lane a year ago.
Unfortunately, it wasn’t a smooth trip back to base in Indianapolis ahead of the series’ next race in Houston. Carpenter’s truck caught fire on the drive back in Arizona, and the team is assessing the damage. No one was injured.
A statement from Carpenter released Wednesday reads:
“Our ECR/Fuzzy’s Vodka trailer caught fire early this morning in Arizona, on I-40 near Flagstaff, after Tuesday’s test session at Fontana. Our truck drivers, Matt Giese and Jeff Hughes, are okay. The No. 20 Fuzzy’s Vodka Chevrolet race car and some equipment are also okay. We are still evaluating the damage at this time. We would like to thank the Andretti Autosport teams and their truck drivers who stopped to assist Matt and Jeff with the incident. We hope to have additional information on the trailer and equipment as soon as it is available.”
Carpenter currently sits 17th in the series standings.
Video from NASCAR America
- Gene Haas’ F1 team changes team name, launches new pages 1
- Cindric proposes IndyCar champion Will Power will run No. 1 in 2015 2
- NASCAR AMERICA: Assessing Tony Stewart’s return at Atlanta (VIDEO) 1
- Feelin’ free: Frustrations end for Chase-bound Kahne, IndyCar champ Power 3
- Honda preps for first simulations, expresses confidence it can match Mercedes 5
- Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go 1
- Kasey Kahne rallies in last 2 laps to win at Atlanta, makes Chase 1