Sep 25, 2013, 5:00 PM EST
Ed Carpenter was part of the IZOD IndyCar Series’ test session Tuesday at Auto Club Speedway, the track where he took his single-car Fuzzy’s Vodka Ed Carpenter Racing team to victory lane a year ago.
Unfortunately, it wasn’t a smooth trip back to base in Indianapolis ahead of the series’ next race in Houston. Carpenter’s truck caught fire on the drive back in Arizona, and the team is assessing the damage. No one was injured.
A statement from Carpenter released Wednesday reads:
“Our ECR/Fuzzy’s Vodka trailer caught fire early this morning in Arizona, on I-40 near Flagstaff, after Tuesday’s test session at Fontana. Our truck drivers, Matt Giese and Jeff Hughes, are okay. The No. 20 Fuzzy’s Vodka Chevrolet race car and some equipment are also okay. We are still evaluating the damage at this time. We would like to thank the Andretti Autosport teams and their truck drivers who stopped to assist Matt and Jeff with the incident. We hope to have additional information on the trailer and equipment as soon as it is available.”
Carpenter currently sits 17th in the series standings.
Video from NASCAR America
- John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4
- Vergne joins Ferrari as a test driver 1
- IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing 0
- NASCAR: Bubba Wallace confirmed for Roush Fenway XFINITY program 2
- Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 13 – Chase Elliott wins final Nationwide Series championship at record age 0