Sep 25, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
Emerging NASCAR talent Ryan Blaney, who won his first Nationwide Series race last weekend in Kentucky, confirmed Wednesday he has talked to other teams in the NASCAR garage about his future. But for the rest of 2013, he’s committed to Penske Racing.
“Well, there has been very, very little talks with other teams, but right now my loyalty is to Penske Racing and finishing out this 2013 season very strong, either in that Nationwide car, if I get another race, or finishing out the Truck season very strong for Brad Keselowski Racing,” the son of Dave Blaney said in a teleconference Wednesday.
“Just really focused on that right now, and then in the offseason, we’ll see what doors open up or if we progress here with Penske like planned. So we’ll find out here in the coming months, but right now my loyalty is to Penske and finishing out this 2013 season very strong.”
Blaney is rumored to be in play for Furniture Row Racing’s vacant No. 78 Chevrolet for 2014. Blaney doesn’t turn 20 until December 31, and is just completing his first season in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series with Penske driver Keselowski’s team.
He rates his first Truck win as more special than his first Nationwide win.
“Nothing is ever going to really beat that first win you get in NASCAR ever, but it was very close, winning with a new group of guys,” he said. “That group of guys, I was with a lot at the end of 2012 when I ran that 22 car about seven or eight races while Brad was focused on the Championship. So I got to know those guys very well. Getting to know Jeremy (Bullins, crew chief) a lot that last year and over this offseason, he’s improved so much. He’s really given that car what it needs.”
- Drivers ponder why cars didn’t go airborne during the Indianapolis 500 1
- Bell: “A wild Indy 500 without the finish we desired” 0
- Ryan: Juan Pablo Montoya comes full circle at Indianapolis 1
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 2
- Montoya rallies for second Indianapolis 500 victory (VIDEO) 10
- Hamilton: Impossible to express how I feel after Monaco defeat 4
- Rosberg lucks in to third straight Monaco GP win after Mercedes’ mistake costs Hamilton victory 53