Sep 25, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
This will be the best racing news you read all day: Kurt Busch‘s No. 78 Furniture Row Racing Chevrolet will be sponsored by Wonder Bread at Talladega.
The move is to create a buzz around the relaunch of the Wonder brand and comes ready for consumption at the track where Will Ferrell made the Wonder Bread car famous in “Talladega Nights.”
“This motorsports partnership definitely carries a special feeling with two American icons coming together – Wonder Bread and NASCAR – at one of America’s legendary racetracks,” Busch said in a team release. “And the sponsorship also has a nostalgic feel for me since Wonder bread was a household staple while growing up in Las Vegas. Talladega is a track that we can win at and a celebration with the Wonder car in Victory Lane will make this partnership even more special.”
Busch’s solo year with Phoenix Racing in 2012 and a handful of Nationwide Series races this year have featured three of the most iconic NASCAR retro paint schemes brought back to life.
After agreements were made with movie executives to gain approval, and awareness created for Busch’s girlfriend Patricia Driscoll’s Armed Forces Foundation, Busch was able to run the cougar “ME” scheme at Talladega in spring of 2012 paying homage to the other prominent livery in “Talladega Nights.”
With Finch, he also was able to run a Neil Bonnett-inspired throwback scheme and the “Days of Thunder” City Chevrolet paint scheme in the Nationwide ranks.
Busch also appeared on NBCSN’s “SportsDash” on Wednesday – another post will come on that later this afternoon, besides the above video.
Here’s all three other cars Busch drove with these iconic liveries:
Video from NASCAR America
- Gene Haas’ F1 team changes team name, launches new pages 3
- Cindric proposes IndyCar champion Will Power will run No. 1 in 2015 2
- NASCAR AMERICA: Assessing Tony Stewart’s return at Atlanta (VIDEO) 1
- Feelin’ free: Frustrations end for Chase-bound Kahne, IndyCar champ Power 3
- Honda preps for first simulations, expresses confidence it can match Mercedes 5
- Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go 1
- Kasey Kahne rallies in last 2 laps to win at Atlanta, makes Chase 1