Sep 25, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Former F1 driver Derek Warwick, who was one of the stewards during the Singapore Grand Prix weekend, has defended the decision to hand Mark Webber and Fernando Alonso reprimands.
Webber and Alonso were censured after Webber rode back to the pits on Alonso’s car following the race.
Warwick, who started 162 races between 1981 and 1993, told The Telegraph stewards do want F1 to be entertaining and fun but that it must also be safe.
“We have become a bit sterile in many ways in Formula One. But we cannot put drivers at risk. If it had been done in a safer manner then it might have been viewed differently, but this was potentially very dangerous. You can’t have cars parked in the middle of a corner.”
Webber was accused of returning to the track without obtaining permission from a marshal, something he has since refuted. Alonso’s reprimand was for stopping on the racing line while he collected Webber, forcing other drivers to take avoiding action.
“A driver could easily have been hurt,” said Warwick. “I hope we’re not seen as killjoys. I want Formula One to be entertaining. I want it to be a spectacle.”
Webber’s reprimand was his third of the year, earning him an automatic ten-place grid penalty for the Korean Grand Prix next week.
- Kanaan set for more than just Indy 500 success with Ganassi switch in 2014 0
- Keselowski wins in Vegas as Dale Jr. runs dry on final lap 1
- NHRA king John Force charging as hard in boardroom for new sponsors as on the dragstrip 0
- Who are the new rookies in F1 this season? 1
- A save and a beauty from Matt Kenseth in Vegas (VIDEO) 0
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Busch news kicks off what may be a busy Tuesday for IndyCar (5)
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 (5)