Sep 26, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
Caterham have confirmed that some slight changes have taken place in the team’s technical department ahead of the new regulations for the 2014 season.
Next year will see the current V8 engines replaced by turbocharged V6 units, which, along with a raft of aerodynamic changes, poses a difficult challenge to every technical team up and down the grid. In an attempt to react to these changes, Caterham have reshuffled the team taking on this task.
Operations director Jody Egginton has been promoted to deputy technical director, working directly beneath Mark Smith, whilst John Iley will now oversee the Advanced Projects Group that looks to bring new innovations into Formula One – a task that could prove pivotal over the next few seasons – whilst continuing in his current position of performance director.
“I am pleased that both Jody and John have agreed to take on the enhanced responsibilities we are asking them to embrace as part of this reorganisation,” technical director Mark Smith explained in a statement.
“Jody has many years of experience on the pit wall and in the factory that will be invaluable for our team in the latter stages of the 2013 season, and particularly as we head into 2014.
“John’s role will also enable him to take a broader view of all our performance characteristics, and will allow him to innovate – something that is crucial in F1 but which is often difficult to dedicate resource to, particularly for a young team like ours.”
Caterham currently lie last in the constructors’ championship, but having outperformed closest-rivals Marussia since the beginning of the European season back in May, the teams does appear to be on the cusp of recovering P10 in the standings.
Video from NASCAR America
- Bottas leads as McLaren-Honda delayed on first day of Abu Dhabi test 1
- Steve Letarte reflects on Hendrick Motorsports career in “exit interview” (VIDEO) 3
- Weekend wrap: Lewis Hamilton back on top of the F1 mountain 4
- Maurizio Arrivabene replaces Marco Mattiacci as Ferrari team principal 4
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Sunday 0
- Hamilton calls second title victory “the greatest day of my life” 3
- Hamilton clinches second F1 world title by winning Abu Dhabi GP 11